Wildlife biologist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildlife biologist

I finally got TPWD biologist to come out. My land borders my lease but even so, it is a small property.

We talked about the food plot because I wanted to plant a summer plot. He looked around and said I couldn't plant anything to compete with the native vegetation. Yes, the deer would eat what I planted but why waste the money because they would be picky about it.

He also said that due to the desirable native vegetation, planting a general fall wildlife mix was a hit or miss and the only thing I should consider should be oats.

Then after touring the rest of the property, he recommended that we sign up for the Pastures for Upland Birds Program (PUB). I'm talking to the landowner now about that but it's pretty exciting to me.

TPWD with USFG has a grant program to fund reseeding native grasses to restore native habitat. The cover the resource cost and I cover the labor. Minimum acreage is 30 acres. Pretty sweet!

That's really cool. Our place is in Walker County so we just missed it

Comment

That is an opportunity that no one should pass up. If it indeed pays for the herbicides and seeds, landowners would be crazy not to do this. I wish more people would stray away from the improved grass pastures and go back to native, less inputs, more diversity and much better for the ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmouth View Post
        I wish more people would stray away from the improved grass pastures and go back to native, less inputs, more diversity and much better for the ecosystem.
        Can you say it again but louder for people in the back?

My family's ranch is 90% improved pasture. Heavily crossed fenced and cattle are on a rotation. I am trying to get the older folk in the family on board with native restoration but these old cattle ranchers are stubborn.

Being the only hunter in the family they really don't get it.

Comment

I'm definitely going to consider this as we live in Navarro county. Sounds like a great program. I assume you could convert your ag status on the land over to wildlife management exemption without any gap. Can you provide the name of your biologist?

Also, could you run cattle or would that completely negate the goal of the program?

Thanks for any input.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
            Can you say it again but louder for people in the back?

My family's ranch is 90% improved pasture. Heavily crossed fenced and cattle are on a rotation. I am trying to get the older folk in the family on board with native restoration but these old cattle ranchers are stubborn.

Being the only hunter in the family they really don't get it.
            With pasture rotation already in place, natives are definitely the way to go. Increased stocking rates and reduced or eliminate the need for fertilizers and some herbicides. I'd be on that like a duck on a June bug.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
              I'm definitely going to consider this as we live in Navarro county. Sounds like a great program. I assume you could convert your ag status on the land over to wildlife management exemption without any gap. Can you provide the name of your biologist?

Also, could you run cattle or would that completely negate the goal of the program?

Thanks for any input.
              You have until April 30 to apply for a 1-D-1 if you are already ag exempt. You county may have an acreage requirement. If you go to TPWD web site and search biologist, you will find the one assigned to your area. Ours helped us a little with the application. The biggest thing is our county requires a minimum of 12 acres. My landowner owes 6 x 11.11 acre lots all connected. The biologist told us to form a co-op that covered all of the properties. How do we do that? He said on the application provide the name of the co-op. That's it. So the landowner called it <last name> Family Co-op.

After you are approved, you have to do some work in 3 of 7 areas and file annual reports, which are super easy.

And, as far as managing the 1-D-1 with native grasses - it is preferred that you graze it a couple of times per year, but not overgraze it. The state recognizes that grazing is a valuable management tool for wildlife habitat, but cannot be over used. Your biologist can help you with that too.

Comment

Good info. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post

Thanks for any input.
                  Click on your county to find your regional biologist:

But you don't need a biologist to complete the 1-D-1 wildlife form. I did ours without any help. If you have ever participated in any kind of game management program for a ranch or deer lease, you can come up with a plan for your property.
                  And, yes, different counties have minimum acreage requirements but that information can be found by calling your CAD office.

Comment

Not trying to hijack OPs thread but you all seem knowledgeable. Will TPWD help with prescribed burns?

Comment

Yes, they will. We talked about that too.

Comment

Working...
                      X