Sous Vide venison backstrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide venison backstrap

looking for temp and time. need it to be very tender for FIL who is 92 years old. any help appreciated.

130-134 for 4 hrs

Comment

We do steaks at 129-133. I would do them less than that. Maybe 125. Depends on how thick the cuts are.

Comment

I do 128 for 4-8 hours, then sear for 30-60 seconds per side on a HOT flame grill or a HOT cast iron skillet before serving

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          I do 128 for 4-8 hours, then sear for 30-60 seconds per side on a HOT flame grill or a HOT cast iron skillet before serving
          x2

Comment

I shoot for 130-135 but it will get there in about 90 minutes. There really isn't a need to cook it for longer than 2 hours Sous-Vide style. Once it hits the correct temperature, you're just keeping it at that temperature beyond that point.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
              I shoot for 130-135 but it will get there in about 90 minutes. There really isn't a need to cook it for longer than 2 hours Sous-Vide style. Once it hits the correct temperature, you're just keeping it at that temperature beyond that point.
              Going longer breaks down the muscle fibers and makes it more tender. Doesn't get any more cooked, just more tender. Too long (like 12 hours), and it can get mushy.

Comment

thx folks. my main goal is to get the meat tender.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  Going longer breaks down the muscle fibers and makes it more tender. Doesn't get any more cooked, just more tender. Too long (like 12 hours), and it can get mushy.
                  Good to know. I will be giving this a shot myself.

Comment

Personally I do 129.5 for two hours for butterflied backstrap steaks and they are plenty tender. Longer wouldn't hurt but I don't think it's necessary. If you are doing bigger cuts or whole backstraps you'll want to adjust.

Comment

These numbers are *shocking* to me. The debate in my house is 116 vs 118!

My perfect steak: backstrap goes in at 118 for 4 hours, then take it out and refrigerate it until cold. Cut it in half longways down the middle, to make two steaks about 1 1/2" wide. Dry it very carefully. No seasoning. Put it on a wire rack, then blowtorch it on full power to char. This will warm the steak back up to perfect eating temperature.

Serve immediately with lots of flaky salt like muldens and an egg-based sauce like bearnaise or homemade aioli (really easy).

Comment

Working...
                      X