Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I walk in at Gray light.

Comment

We don’t hunt stands or feeders. So we sit on the porch and wait until we see deer starting to move. It may be 30 minutes after daylight or an hour and half after. And we kill plenty of deer. We only use road feeders. They wait on us not us on them.

Comment

Until this season i've always been a one hour before sunrise guy. This season i've changed to one before shooting light. 1.5 hours before sunrise. I feel like the change has been a good one.

Comment

0-30 min tops for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            These are my thoughts as well. You can bump them at 4:30 the same as 6:30. I hate to use a flashlight coming in, and I’ll get my extra sleep in bed!

Preach it! My bed is a hell of a lot more comfortable than a tripod or blind chair.

I park my electric cart within 20 yards of my stand and I’ve never had a problem spooking deer. I run green lights (if I’m not using my PVS-7 [emoji4]).

I’ve gotten off the cart and climbed in my Maverick blind with deer still in the feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
              An hour before legal shooting light. Watching God's Glory wake up on the horizon from a tree is one of the most enjoyable things in life imo.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I get to see the same sunrise you do when I walk in 15 minutes before legal light......[emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                I get to see the same sunrise you do when I walk in 15 minutes before legal light......[emoji6]

Oh ok. You win.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

10-20 minutes before shooting time.
                  Works fine for me.
                  I usually leave my stuff in the tree or blind if I’m hunting the same spot for days on end.

Comment

With all of the early arrivers at stands, what times do you do most of your shooting?

My personal best times for having shots are 7:30A- 10:00A

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo1 View Post
                      With all of the early arrivers at stands, what times do you do most of your shooting?

My personal best times for having shots are 7:30A- 10:00A

My personal best shooting time is the first and last hour of legal shooting time. Setting up close to bedding areas I’m counting on catching one coming from night time feeding area to bed. Same as in the afternoon. They are leaving bed and going to feed the last “golden hour”

Comment

Really depends on where you are hunting and how. I want to be where I am going, and give the critters plenty of time to settle down and forget about me. That or be there before they are.

Some places that may be 30 minutes before sun up, some places you may need to be there at 2:00 in the morning. Really depends on the terrain, when the critters are moving and how they are moving. Are they traveling from a long distance to a area beyond where you are or to the area where you are. Or are they coming from from a bedding area 100 yards away, to your feeder.

Comment

15-30 mins before daylight...if I see or hear a deer on my way in I’ll moo at em and use my flashlight so they can’t actually see I’m not really a cow. I’ve yet to be snorted at since I’ve started the mooing thing. Tried to get my wife to order me a cow suit but she won’t [emoji23]

Comment

My personal rule of thumb is about an hour before daylight if the birds are chirping and your not in the stand you’re too late!!!

Comment

Depends. I've walked in right when I had enough light to see. I just walk slow, stop and listen. I climbed up a tree, and into my stand a couple of years ago with a doe feeding about 50 yards away. She knew is was there. But for whatever reason she didn't blow out. Had plenty of deer around me that day...

I've also walked in an hour before daylight and blew up the whole **** woods because I stumbled upon a bedded deer...ugh. Never saw a single deer that day. lol

Gun hunting in West or South Texas over the years. Always tried to get in just before daylight, like 20-30 min.

Sometimes I adjust my times, depending of it rained the night before. If so I usually will walk in as close to daylight as possible. Deer in my avatar was killed when I was running late, and didn't get into tree until about 30 min past daylight.

Way more important to me than getting to a stand early, is scent/wind and being slow and quiet. and NOT being to LATE getting in on an afternoon/evening hunt. Since I started going to stand earlier in the afternoon (1pm or so). I have seen a TON more deer moving just after 1 than I expected. Cameras showed me to change that up.

Now, I hate being stuck after dark. Have had that happen a few times. Where I knew a big deer I was seeing, had come in on me after dark. I've had to sit there for 1-2 hours past dark, waiting for him to leave so I could "ease" out.
                              Last edited by Bullydog; 11-27-2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X