Live at the Chap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
    Any word on the number of mature bucks this year? Imagine antler quality is down some with the dry weather?

Summer has been dry but decent rain last winter and early spring. Forage held up pretty well during antler growing season. The big thing down there is major drought. From 2011-2013, bad drought and VERY low fawn recruitment. Low number of bucks born. Hunted there in 2018 and the 5.5 to 7.5 age class was way low. This year, that age range should have very good numbers. Meaning more mature bucks..... theoretically.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally a glimpse of movement. Doe and yearling crossed the road. Hope they're on their feet now. It's hot!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Get you another one!

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
          Finally a glimpse of movement. Doe and yearling crossed the road. Hope they're on their feet now. It's hot!

Hot is an understatement for 11/24. Its 93* where I'm sitting tonight

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yearling at the very end of my corn line.

Comment

Same forky I've had every hunt, and another buck I can't identify yet. Might be that 6 from yesterday evening.

Comment

Come on 7pt!

Comment

Got a buck working down the road. Can't tell exactly what he is. Has potential though

Comment

Buck wasn't legal. Two does just came out. Possible contingency plan if nothing happens soon.

Comment

Looks like a wrap. That one doe stayed just out of my comfort range. Thinking I might try the spot I found today in the morning. Might be an uncomfortable sit on the ground, but feeling a little burnt out here after today. Few pics from that area. Water trough 50 yards to my left

Comment

I totally forgot about the warthogs! Man, I would be spot and stalking those suckers all day tomorrow if I had the energy and enough water!

Did they say if the population is doing well? Are they established or just a few living out their lives as escapees from the nearby HF ranch?

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                          I totally forgot about the warthogs! Man, I would be spot and stalking those suckers all day tomorrow if I had the energy and enough water!

Did they say if the population is doing well? Are they established or just a few living out their lives as escapees from the nearby HF ranch?
                          They are pretty well established now. They've killed many over the years now. Interesting twist knowing those things are out here.

Comment

Back at it for one last hoorah. So I chickened out and opted for the comforts of the blind as opposed to plopping my rear in this red dust. So yesterday evening as I got to HQ, a guy had an absolute stud of a 6 pt there. Biggest 6 I've ever laid eyes on. He proclaimed it to be his biggest buck ever. But then he proceeds to show me the two 1" stickers off his base, and staff was calling him an 8. I feel terrible for this guy. A trophy management buck by any standards. He said ol green pants was coming in the morning. I sure hope they let him keep the buck. I understand rules are rules, but this buck had at least 5" bases, and seeing those two stickers would have been really difficult.

Comment

Seems likes a fresh broken tine would be a bigger problem than a couple hidden kickers. Good luck today. How many bucks have been taken?

Comment

In other news, I had the pleasure of spending a few hours with a pair of TBH's finest members, Rod and Courtney. Got to meet the promising new recruit, Chewy, which is Courtney's new trailing pup, and look at big deer. Enjoyed the camaraderie guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X