Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #1
Carta Valley
Four Point

Hunt In: Val Verde & Brooks Counties
Default Bergara B-14 HMR 6.5 Creedmoor

Does anyone own a Bergara B-14 HMR 6.5 Creedmoor? I'm looking at buying one and would like opinions. I also want to put a Leupold scope on it for up to 500 yards. What model would be recommended? Can I get a "500 yard" scope in the 500 to 600 dollar range?
Carta Valley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

A buddy of mine has one and he likes it. Shoots very well, nice trigger. He tried several different types of ammo and all shot moa or less. ELD-x probably closer to 1/2”.
Kenner97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #3
St59
Four Point

Got one but have shot less than 30 rounds so far. Seems to be pretty accurate as advertised. Shoots a whole lot better than I can haha
St59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
slayr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

The Bergaras are nice, you should get a range card validating the precision of your rifle...which is nice validation of a factory rifle. If you can splurge an extra couple hundred dollars for the scope, I’d highly recommend the Leupold VX3i-LRP. I’d consider it very nice glass for the money, you should be able to pick one up for around $800.
slayr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #5
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: wherever i can

I have one and love it. Havent shot an animal past 210 yards but hits em right where I aim at that distance. I have an Athlon scope on it and its a great combo. I also have a vortex viper PST FFP for sale on here in that price range, brand new if interested shoot me a message
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

I've got one for sale that I haven't posted yet. It's a shooter in perfect condition with 400 rounds down the tube.
I just bought an APR custom to replace it.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #7
Carta Valley
Four Point

Thanks for the input from everyone!
Old 01-11-2020, 02:00 PM   #8
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Great rifles for the money. I’d probably throw a Vortex PST II 3-15 on top for the $600 range. That combination should get you to 1000 without much trouble.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #9
Carta Valley
Four Point

thanks TX03RUBI
Old 01-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #10
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Donít feel like you need a tactical scope to shoot out to 500 yards.

A 3-9 and hold overs can get you to 500 if you really wanted. But yes you can find a scope in that price range with turrets. Just depends on what features you like.

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 05:39 PM   #11
Tbar
Ten Point

I am running one of these.

Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25X56
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #12
kenner27
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post

Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25X56
Who cares??? The man is looking for a $500 scope not a $4,000 one.

Carta Valley, I have this rifle as well and it shoots great. Try to hold out for a used scope, that’s what I did to put a higher quality for less $$$
kenner27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 06:21 PM   #13
1longshot
Six Point

You might look under swfa, the sample list , they sometimes have a decent selection of used leupolds.
1longshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #14
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

Look into the Athlon scopes. I got the Ares BTR for around $500 used. I have it on my Bergara HMR 22-250 and like it a lot.
Kenner97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 07:18 PM   #15
hybridhunternm
Six Point

Hunt In: WACO TX, NM

The bergara hmr is a great rifle, will be accurate out of the box, may need a trigger depending on your likes. I own the hmr pro which is super nice but price goes up quick. Depends on what you want to do with the rifle for the scope. I would look at the close out Nikon black fx1000 scopes if you are going to target shoot,but if you want to stick with Leupold more in line for hunting I would go with a vx-3 model with a 50mm objective for better light gathering.
hybridhunternm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 08:36 PM   #16
LillDragun
Six Point

Hunt In: Tilden, Hebbronville

Not hijacking your pos, but...

I was looking into the exact same Bergara rifle for a while. Started off on the Ruger Precision Rifle train. After a lot of research and shooting my Sako 75 more, I decided on a Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5 CM. I gotta say, the Finnish really know how to build a bolt action rifle!! I love my Sako action and the Tikka action is darn close to how buttery the Sako is.

I'm planning on putting a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm on it. It's not a $500 scope...but with ebay and the Vortex lifetime warranty...
LillDragun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 09:01 PM   #17
CP25OD1
Spike

I have one and I love it. I have a vortex pst gen II 3-15. Got the scope for 575 on midway.com. Might be a little overkill for stand hunting but its fun at the range.
CP25OD1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 09:18 PM   #18
futureagg
Eight Point

Hunt In: Crockett

I have the Bergara HMR in 6.5 as well. For scope on mine Iím running the Athlon Ares ETR itís a little more (closer to 1000). But on my AR10 I have the Athlon Talos BTR 4-14 and it does amazing at 1000yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
futureagg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 09:31 PM   #19
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillDragun View Post
Not hijacking your pos, but...

I was looking into the exact same Bergara rifle for a while. Started off on the Ruger Precision Rifle train. After a lot of research and shooting my Sako 75 more, I decided on a Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5 CM. I gotta say, the Finnish really know how to build a bolt action rifle!! I love my Sako action and the Tikka action is darn close to how buttery the Sako is.

I'm planning on putting a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm on it. It's not a $500 scope...but with ebay and the Vortex lifetime warranty...
If youíre paying more than $500 for a Gen I PST (which the 6-24 is) youíre not trying very hard. Personally there are much better options for the money these days than the Gen I. The Gen II is a much needed upgrade in both glass and durability department. Iíve owned 4 PST Is and 3 PST IIs. Good thing about Vortex is you donít have to worry about buying used. The warranty is good regardless whether you bought it new or used.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 10:07 PM   #20
strait shooter
Six Point

I got one over the Thanksgiving holiday. I had APR put a Jewel trigger set at 1 1/4 lbs and an area 419 brake on it before I ever shot it. We finally took it out to zero it last weekend. After zeroing, it shot three 3/8” groups in a row. I was going for 1/4” but just couldn’t get it done. I can’t wait to see what it will do after I get a couple hundred rounds down range and a load developed for it. I was shooting eld-m factory ammo
strait shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 01:02 AM   #21
Trevor73402
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait shooter View Post
I got one over the Thanksgiving holiday. I had APR put a Jewel trigger set at 1 1/4 lbs and an area 419 brake on it before I ever shot it. We finally took it out to zero it last weekend. After zeroing, it shot three 3/8Ē groups in a row. I was going for 1/4Ē but just couldnít get it done. I canít wait to see what it will do after I get a couple hundred rounds down range and a load developed for it. I was shooting eld-m factory ammo
Just want to note that I appreciate your honesty in regards to your larger than 1/4Ē accuracy. There are a lot more of us that appreciate the fact that you didnít have to say ďone-holer, bug-holes, or the ever infamous tack-driverĒ.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 02:38 AM   #22
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post

Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25X56
You coulda got a lot nicer scope for a lot less money.

OP. They are great rifles for what they are. Mine shot well. Just wasnít a creedmoor fan. Spoiled by faster calibers. With the selection of factory ammo and that rifle youíll be pleased. I second the recommendation to bump to the glass budget slightly and youíll have a great package
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 04:11 AM   #23
Tree Phantom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Striker area

Sent a pm

Tree Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #24
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

I have one in a 6.5 Creedmoor that I bought new. Have a Vortex Gen II 5x25 on it. I would be willing to sell it. PM me!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #25
Milkfisher
Six Point

Ive got one with a Vortex PSTII 6-24 on it. Love it. yotes and hogs arent safe inside 800yrds.
Milkfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #26
Brian77429
Four Point

Hunt In: Vanderpool, Texas

Good to know information here thanks! I am looking to purchase one this spring in 300wm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait shooter View Post
I got one over the Thanksgiving holiday. I had APR put a Jewel trigger set at 1 1/4 lbs and an area 419 brake on it before I ever shot it. We finally took it out to zero it last weekend. After zeroing, it shot three 3/8Ē groups in a row. I was going for 1/4Ē but just couldnít get it done. I canít wait to see what it will do after I get a couple hundred rounds down range and a load developed for it. I was shooting eld-m factory ammo
Strait Shooter - Did APR give any other feedback or suggestions for improvements? How do you like the area 419 brake?
Brian77429 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #27
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

For those that have one, any issues or regrets on the guns weight? Think its a couple pounds heavier than others but was curious. Ive been wanting one for a while.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #28
bowhuntermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado

Ive got one I will make you a SMOKING deal on. Has a Timney trigger in it as well. Bought it to be my long range antelope gun here in Colorado. Unfortunately one weekend of walking 5-8 miles a day was all it took for me to decide to go with something lighter. With the Timney trigger, a Leupold MK 4 scope, and 142 grain eld-x bullets, it is an absolute tack driver. .5" all day long. has exactly 32 rounds down the pipe.
bowhuntermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2020, 01:03 PM   #29
futureagg
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmjag64 View Post
For those that have one, any issues or regrets on the guns weight? Think its a couple pounds heavier than others but was curious. Ive been wanting one for a while.
I have one and absolutely love it for a stand gun, and competition gun. If I was hiking with it though... I'd rather take my AR10 and its 13lbs with a full mag.

I am running the HMR in 6.5cm with a 22" barrel. Now I believe they come with 24". I've been using the rifle to get into PRS competitions and it has been wonderful. I use the American Gunner 140grain BTHP and get about a .75" group at 200yards.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #30
chrisk
Ten Point

I have been wanting one of the Primary Arms FFP scopes that has the mils and 1000 yard bullet drop compensation reticle and it’s $499 I think.
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2020, 05:02 PM   #31
Buzzsaw
Eight Point

Hunt In: Frio County

this thread sounds like a classified section. just sayin
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2020, 09:29 PM   #32
futureagg
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I have been wanting one of the Primary Arms FFP scopes that has the mils and 1000 yard bullet drop compensation reticle and itís $499 I think.

I really like the athlon talos BTR. For $300 I put it on my AR10 in 308 and consistently stretch it out to 800.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:26 AM   #33
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Kevin View Post
I have one in a 6.5 Creedmoor that I bought new. Have a Vortex Gen II 5x25 on it. I would be willing to sell it. PM me!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I would be willing to sell the Bergara HMR, not the scope. Although I guess I could let the package go. Works very well off the bench...
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2020, 08:02 PM   #34
strait shooter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian77429 View Post
Good to know information here thanks! I am looking to purchase one this spring in 300wm.

Strait Shooter - Did APR give any other feedback or suggestions for improvements? How do you like the area 419 brake?
They didnít give me any more feedback on what else I could do but I didnít ask either. My funds were pretty mick spent at that point. Here she is as she sits now.

Sorry the pics are sideways and upside down. I donít know how that happened
Attached Images

Last edited by strait shooter; 01-31-2020 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Pic apology
Old 01-31-2020, 08:12 PM   #35
strait shooter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian77429 View Post

Oh, and I like the 419 a lot. My son has a savage 6.5 cm with a little ******* gen 3 on it and they are both good. The people on either side of us at the range were not having as much fun as we were.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:13 AM   #36
Dbap
Spike

Hunt In: Foard/Red River Counties

A scope in that price range would be the most well suited Burris you can find. I have a MTac, 4.5 -14 that's great, not in use at the moment, but definitely suits your range requirement. Check Natchez Shooters Supply for clearance, that's where I got mine way under your budget. Or used, at the top of your budget would be a Leupold VX5 HD from a trusted Ebay seller.
Dbap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2020, 06:44 AM   #37
Hoytbowhunter
Pope & Young

I went with a Leupold VX3i 8.5-25x50 LRP tmr FFP. Timmy trigger, VG6 break. Have not put to all to test yet but I think it will work great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hoytbowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2020, 03:43 PM   #38
chrisk
Ten Point

Looks nice
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #39
B&C
Four Point

Hunt In: Maverick County

I have (4) Bergara B14 rifles. All of them are tack drivers. I've never shot factory ammo in them but all shoot under 0.4" with hand loads and one shoots under 0.2". They are the most accurate factory rifles I've seen and shoot better than a couple of my custom rifles.

I have a Vortex 6-20X scope I'll make you a deal on. PM me and I'll get you the details.
B&C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #40
cjsplitts
Nubbin' Buck

Bergara makes an awesome rifle, it's one of three everyman's rifles that I don't bother blueprinting because their machining is spot on. I've had complaints on the 6.5, heard it has to do with the rifling from a guy who would know. That was a year and half ago but Bergara moves fast so that could be solved.

For scopes in that range I would skip Leopold and check out the Hawke Endurance WA line. I have one on my custom 6.5 and it has done nothing but surprise me. Accurate as it gets and I love the LRC reticle. LRC gives me the easy dope for distance without being busy. The light gathering on it is ridiculous, 1/2 moon and I leave the light in the truck.
cjsplitts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top