CWD hasn’t killed any deer in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWD hasn’t killed any deer in Texas

Chad Prather is running to be our next Texas Governor. I took this screenshot off Facebook. I’m interested to know your thoughts about the State killing these deer on private properties that have no evidence of CWD. Is it true that there hasn’t been a confirmed death from CWD or is this guy way off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know if that’s 100% accurate or not but TPWD is definitely going too far with this. Just showing up and ordering that you kill several of your deer so they can test them. No rhyme or reason as to why they showed up and chose you.

Comment

Not only do they make you kill a percentage of deer when you bring in deer, you do NOT have to test the deer you are bringing in. If you have never had CWD and bring in new deer, looks like the NEW deer should be tested but they don't care if you test NEW or EXISTING deer in a herd.....crazy

Comment

texas parks and wildlife isn't exactly known for cutting edge research.

they're still running gill nets on the coast in trophy trout areas to get population data.

years and years and years of measuring thousands and thousands of fish in centimeters ... and the outcome is .. "uh, yeah... 15 inches is good... keep 10 way up there, and only 5 (because of political pressure, not because we think the numbers justify it) way down there.

Comment

Originally posted by sec View Post
          Not only do they make you kill a percentage of deer when you bring in deer, you do NOT have to test the deer you are bringing in. If you have never had CWD and bring in new deer, looks like the NEW deer should be tested but they don't care if you test NEW or EXISTING deer in a herd.....crazy
          Theoretically, wouldn't the person you bought them from be testing their herd. If they were a legal breeder registered with the state. So wouldn't it be like "double testing"?

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
            I don’t know if that’s 100% accurate or not but TPWD is definitely going too far with this. Just showing up and ordering that you kill several of your deer so they can test them. No rhyme or reason as to why they showed up and chose you.
            They are not your deer. They belong to the people of the state of Texas.

Comment

The live test for CWD is so new that it hasn’t begun USDA approval.

Comment

Ask yourself this: if mad cow disease was found in a cattle herd, would there be any hesitation to kill every cow in that herd? These deer are livestock, just like cattle. CWD is the cervid form of mad cow disease. Why would it be treated any differently?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  They are not your deer. They belong to the people of the state of Texas.
                  what's your address? I'd like to come shoot one of the state's public deer at your place.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                    Ask yourself this: if mad cow disease was found in a cattle herd, would there be any hesitation to kill every cow in that herd? These deer are livestock, just like cattle. CWD is the cervid form of mad cow disease. Why would it be treated any differently?
                    ask yourself this... if mad cow was found on a 50 acre ranch in Kleberg county, would the king ranch kill off a significant portion of their herd to prove their herd didn't have mad cow disease?

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post

This ^^^^ is something I was curious about. I didn’t know a live test existed until I saw the screenshot. Sounds like it’s still a ways off from being implemented

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        This ^^^^ is something I was curious about. I didn’t know a live test existed until I saw the screenshot. Sounds like it’s still a ways off from being implemented
                        posted in 2016

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                          what's your address? I'd like to come shoot one of the state's public deer at your place.
                          Come on. Bring lots of money for your trespass fee.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                            Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post

Looks like it was approved in 2016. Why are they forcing folks to kill the deer just to see IF they have CWD? I’m starting to agree with those who say it’s not necessary.

Comment

Live testing is not as accurate as testing a dead deer. If you are testing just as a surveillance tool, multiple testing of live animals may work for that. But, if you are testing in order to prevent the spread of the disease, it is no good. Even at 99% (which it's not), that means you will be wrong 1 time for every 100 deer moved (breeders move thousands of deer around the state). That obviously will not work if you are trying to keep from moving infected deer to a new area.

Comment

Working...
                              X