Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
    Yup. Lol

I would say if I were an insurance company I wouldn’t pay a claim on that, but it probably should’ve never been approved for coverage in the first place. I guess the average agent doesn’t know what they’re looking at though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I may not have worded that correctly. We didn’t know it before we moved in. There were things we noticed over the last few months. Sorta like finding things your home builder did wrong well after the fact and then trying to get him back out to check/correct.

We aren’t steel building engineers and I just looked at the span tables day before yesterday when I saw the failure mode. The funny thing is the failure didn’t have anything to do with the issues we raised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
      He paid in full for subpar work. My guess is he went with the guy who was 30% cheaper and unfortunately probably doesn't have insurance. He unfortunately will have little recourse from everything he told us. Thus you get what you pay for. I have sadly seen so much corner cutting on this site in regards to construction I'd be willing to bet the OP is not the only one in this boat.

This isn’t a small fly by night company and we didn’t go with the cheapest bid. We didn’t even shop it around. We went with who was recommended based on people we trusted and seeing their other other work in the area.

I’m not going to say the name of the GC unless he doesn’t make it right.

Comment

If your insurance company signed off on it, they will pay. Did they inspect it before they covered it? I hope you are prepared to pony up some cash to get it fixed with engineering recommendations because the insurance probably won't cover all of what it will cost you to fix it.
        Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
          I... on an online public forum. Would erase "We knew he didn't build to code......"
          First thing I saw. I would delete this thread ASAP.

And if he didn't build to code, I would be shocked if he had insurance. Good luck OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
            I... on an online public forum. Would erase "We knew he didn't build to code......"

Comment

I hope you are personal friends with your insurance agent. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                Is strange that the "rafters" failed and the purlins that aren't welded to the rafters are still lined up with the rafters.
                exactly! wow

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                  He tried to mitigate the damage of his admission above. .

Comment

Was it 6inch or 8 inch ?

Comment

What was the load the roof was built for and what was the actual load on it when it failed?

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                        Was it 6inch or 8 inch ?

Judging from a wall in one pic I'd guess a 3 or 4.

Comment

I may not have worded that correctly. We didn’t know it before we moved in. There were things we noticed over the last few months.
                          This isn’t a small fly by night company and we didn’t go with the cheapest bid. We didn’t even shop it around. We went with who was recommended
                          I dont really understand, either you hired the guys or you didn't.

Comment

How much snow was on the ground?

Comment

I wouldn't have posted this and contacted insurance company hope for the best.
                              Last edited by dgilbert; 02-19-2021, 10:07 AM.

Comment

I think our insurance company may be having a call with our GC

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                                I may not have worded that correctly. We didn’t know it before we moved in. There were things we noticed over the last few months. Sorta like finding things your home builder did wrong well after the fact and then trying to get him back out to check/correct.

We aren’t steel building engineers and I just looked at the span tables day before yesterday when I saw the failure mode. The funny thing is the failure didn’t have anything to do with the issues we raised.

I wish you the best on it with insurance and am so glad no one was hurt in the collapse. Good luck!

But seriously, I would consider emailing a mod and get this whole thread deleted if possible. Maybe it will all go smoothly but if it doesn’t and lawyers get involved you don’t want anything out there that doesnt need to be said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                Last edited by Roscoe; 02-19-2021, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X