Load data with suppressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Load data with suppressor

I am in the process of getting all new suppressors. Hopefully they will get out of suppressor jail before hunting season. I also have a couple of rifles I need to work up loads for.

So does adding a suppressor change your load data? All my current suppressors are 20 years old. I never worried about loads with or without the suppressor. I just attached them and checked the zero. Now I’m wondering if I should wait or go ahead and work up my loads. Interested in your experience.

Can you shoot factory ammo thru the cans? If so you have the answer to your question.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
      Can you shoot factory ammo thru the cans? If so you have the answer to your question.
      You can but why would you? You can’t tune factory ammo.

Comment

Yes. Changes barrel harmonics and depending on how much backpressure the can has, that will factor in as well.

Comment

It makes the load a little hotter...if any are on the edge, I would back down or at least check for excessive pressure on the brass for existing loads.

Comment

I would wait for your new can to get out of jail and see how it likes your current load recipe. Then tweak if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              You can but why would you? You can’t tune factory ammo.
              I guess what I mean is, if it's safe to shoot factory ammo then your reloads would be OK unless your are already maxed out on powder charge.
              Now if'n you are like me and like to push em hard and get em right up to the slightly sticky bolt lift, then you might want to back off a little or you will start blowing out primers and other stuff that make people sweat

Comment

That extra weight out at the end of the barrel is bound to change harmonics some. You can only hope it still stays in a good accuracy node and don't move the POI too much. You have about 1 in a 1000 odds of still hitting the same POI. As far as grouping, if it was good before, it will probably still be tight and might even get better.

Comment

I tune all of my loads with the suppressor I am going to shoot on that rifle. In my experience it can (not necessarily always, but can) change accuracy nodes.

Comment

Working...
                  X