Anyone wanna make venison tamales?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone wanna make venison tamales?

I need a hook up. I normally use Granny's tamales in Humble, but they ain't cheap. If any of y'all can make good tamales, I will provide the meat, and split the tamales with ya.

i used Bay Area last year, they were good, but not hot and fresh like Granny's, they came frozen and vacuum sealed, i don't remember what i paid though, you could give them a call. it might be worth it for you...

Comment

I used a place here in lufkin once. I took them a whole ham and ended up with 15 dozen tamales!! they said 1lb for every dozen tamales. lol Oops!! It ended up costing me like $150. never again!

Comment

Originally posted by boyles77 View Post
        I used a place here in lufkin once. I took them a whole ham and ended up with 15 dozen tamales!! they said 1lb for every dozen tamales. lol Oops!! It ended up costing me like $150. never again!

I hear ya. Last time I took them to Granny's it was $200 and I brought the meat.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          I need a hook up. I normally use Granny's tamales in Humble, but they ain't cheap. If any of y'all can make good tamales, I will provide the meat, and split the tamales with ya.
          Good luck to you and bump. We've been trying to work the same deal in the North Austin area. So if anyone in this area wants to make tamales I'll supply all the fresh venison and pork you need and we will split them.

Comment

Jacksons in Crosby makes pretty good tamales. They charge $9/dozen.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
              Jacksons in Crosby makes pretty good tamales. They charge $9/dozen.
              someone must have told you this because i know you're too cheap for that price unless they let you get just a dozen made

Comment

My MIL makes them all the time, she charges $7 a dozen. Bean, Pork, chicken, or deer.

Comment

Why is it you can go buy em for 9 to 10 dollars a doz but it costs you 9 to 10 with your own meat. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
                    Good luck to you and bump. We've been trying to work the same deal in the North Austin area. So if anyone in this area wants to make tamales I'll supply all the fresh venison and pork you need and we will split them.
                    Might take you up on that. We enjoy doing it as a family weekend event.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Red 82 View Post
                      Why is it you can go buy em for 9 to 10 dollars a doz but it costs you 9 to 10 with your own meat. Go figure.
                      Likely they are the ones that are squirted out. Basicly like a sausage stuffer. Meat in one canister and masa in another. Tube in Tube. They squirt out at the same time then someone just wraps it in a husk for steaming. The hand rolled ones are labor intensive. I would love to get the tamale machine.

Oh also the quality of what the "meat" is.

Comment

I think the meat is only a small portion of the total cost to make them. If it takes 1lb per dozen you can get meat on sale for $1-2 per pound and they sell for 8-10/dozen

So I'd probably offer up the meat plus half the other costs maybe?

How many can your family make in a weekend Dirtymike?

Comment

My MIL wife and sister can make 500-600 tamales in less than 8 hours. Seen them do it Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            I think the meat is only a small portion of the total cost to make them. If it takes 1lb per dozen you can get meat on sale for $1-2 per pound and they sell for 8-10/dozen

So I'd probably offer up the meat plus half the other costs maybe?

How many can your family make in a weekend Dirtymike?
                            Depends how many we eat.

And you are right, meat is not the only expense. The biggest expense is beer for the labors.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
                              My MIL wife and sister can make 500-600 tamales in less than 8 hours. Seen them do it Friday.

Hook a brotha up

Comment

Working...
                              X