Capsule feeders N weevils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys that have capsule feeders, how do you keep the weevils out, so as to not get clogged up with weevil dust? We buy real clean corn. Is there a way to keep them out without messing with the corn?

Let them run completely empty from time to time.. We started doing that, and it seemed to help. We ran big feeders that held 1500 lbs of corn so we'd rotate letting them run empty one at a time to avoid having to fill 10 1500lb feeders at one time.

Comment

Not a fan of capsule feeders, the customer service is decent and have sent replacement parts even their newest model after constant years of failure due to dust build up. buy a stand and fill gravity feeder.

Comment

Its at my dads. Hes 85, so the easier it is to fill, the better for him. Someone told him to put some basil leaves or cloves in it and that'll keep them out. Or put wooden matches cuz the the sulphur in them will keep them out. Dont know how true any of that is, but that's what he was told. Thought I'd check and see what yall think.

Comment

I use 55 gallon drum feeders with 12 volt motors.

I use the cleanest corn possible but for me it takes about 30 days to cast my feeders empty.

I get two issues and when combined, muck up my feeders.

Whether they be weevils grinding up corn into dust or other critters making their way into doing the same thing, by the end of the last part, there’s an accumulation of dust.

Next comes rainy season which is July, August, September. Hot weather evaporates pooled water puddles under my feeders, rises up thru the feeder, dampened into mush by the corn dust. Corn dust turns muck and you got a stinky clogged feeder.

The cure ?

Here’s mine. I run my feeders dry. Before filling, sweep the inside and spin it out.

Some guys have used “wax paper” on their feeders funnel during rain season to make that dust fall faster to the spinner plate and out when it’s spun.

It’s just the game we play when corn is involved.

I’m open to better tricks too !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by mikerosa; 07-09-2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I use phostoxin tablets. I throw a couple in once or twice a month in our big feeders. Haven’t had any issue with animals smelling it or not hitting the feeder anymore. We use those tablets to fumigate grain tanks for weevils so I know they work.

Comment

Very interesting. Is main ingredient phosphorus?

Comment

Aluminum phosphide is the active ingredient.

Comment

We threw ours away

Gary

Comment

Working...
                  X