Second rut is here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patton View Post
    Negative. He typically posts a 'hunting' thread pretty simultaneously with when he posts wild political thread, like comparing the recent Florida shooting to Pearl Harbor. Read any of his threads and it's like he reads a Wikipedia page about hunting and then just vomits up a few sentences on TBH. Helps not get him banned since he is 'contributing'.
    Very wise beyond your years!

Comment

Negative. He typically posts a 'hunting' thread pretty simultaneously with when he posts wild political thread, like comparing the recent Florida shooting to Pearl Harbor. Read any of his threads and it's like he reads a Wikipedia page about hunting and then just vomits up a few sentences on TBH. Helps not get him banned since he is 'contributing'.
      Sounds about right

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
        Very wise beyond your years!
        Don't need many years of experience to learn what BS smells like

Comment

The nub bucks are chasing does about all I seen chasing .

Comment

also the older does that didn't take from the first breeding will come into estrus regularly until they do. I have a notoriously late rut and also a late fawn crop. I had yearlings with spots still visible in Nov 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              Just some info:
              Does reach sexual maturity at around 12 months and are breedable by 18 months

This years 6 month old does might get chased by young bucks... but not likely getting breed

Don't be putting facts in a Texansfan post!

Comment

Not seeing much 2nd rut activity where I am, or Dane sized yotes humping does but I have got a couple of bucks that finally showed up at the feeder. And that right there is amazing for my part of east TX.

Comment

When a doe fawn reaches 80lbs,(according to some) she will come into heat
                  When a doe fawn reaches approximately 18 months(according to some) she will come into heat

Which is it? I have heard both, but unless you have the fawn id-ed, how else would you know? I have seen some really small doe being chased this time of year.

Just for the record, I have heard the 80lb guideline the most.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    When a doe fawn reaches approximately 18 months(according to some) she will come into heat

Which is it? I have heard both, but unless you have the fawn id-ed, how else would you know? I have seen some really small doe being chased this time of year.

See my post above, that came from a deer breeder. Most of your late fawns were from yearling does, but it does matter when the yearling was born, if early then she could come in if late not likely.

Comment

Don't need many years of experience to learn what BS smells like
                      BS = barbecue sauce?

Comment

I’ve seen bucks throw down hard in my neighborhood outside Wills Point on Christmas Eve. I hope the big one I saw shows up on my 10 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post

If 60-80 pounds then hill county deer would never breed. I could be wrong but it’s hard to believe a fat 3rd grader can have a cycle.... but I’m no expert there.

I do believe they will cycle when there body matured enough to cycle. That’s just my thinking and I have no proof that I myself have gathered

Comment

XBowunter got banned, and he contributed too. So did several others. It would not be unprecedented if this knucklehead was given the boot, as he should be.

Comment

Puberty occurs at approximately 16 months of age and after this, they exhibit seasonal polyestrous. Deer respond best to short-day lighting, which means that they are not usually cycling during the summer months, but begin to show estrous behavior in late September and October (see diagram below) (Gordon).[http://www]
                              The estrous cycle in deer varies from 17 - 22 days, depending on the species, and this cyclical breeding activity may continue for as long as six months in animals which do not become pregnant (Gordon). The seasonal changes in fertility are controlled by the secretion of LHRH (luteinizing hormone releasing hormone) from the hypothalamus, which is influenced by melatonin from the pineal gland. LHRH influences the secretion of LH and FSH from the anterior pituitary (Lincoln).

Comment

I have heard from breeders and a biologist that doe fawns can breed but it varies a lot based on region, nutrition and population. I was told by a biologist that in good hill country habitat about 10-20% of doe fawns will cycle their first year. We were also told that fawns being bred was a good sign your nutrition and numbers were in good shape.

Fawn Pregnancy Rates
                                The highest fawn pregnancy rate is in the Midwest. More than half of doe fawns typically breed in agricultural areas of Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, North Dakota and South Dakota, as well as in southern regions of Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

In Iowa, researchers found more than 70 percent of the doe fawns bred and that they carried an average of 1.25 fetuses per doe. Some even carried triplets.

Fewer doe fawns breed in Southern states. Only 10 to 40 percent reportedly breed in the Southeast, even in the best range. Likewise, less than 16 percent of doe fawns likely breed in Texas’ Llano Basin.

White-tailed deer are one of the most prolific deer species on Earth. Aside from being able to adapt to a wide variety of habitat conditions and environmental pressures, they can breed at a young age, produce more than one offspring per year and give birth at the most favorable time of the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X