Dog Harness for walks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog Harness for walks?

You guys that walk your dogs, do you hook leash straight to collars or do you use a harness? If you use harness, which one? Easy to put on? Effective with pullers? Looking for one for my Aussie.

Choke chain. Learn how to put it on properly and correct him when he isn’t healing by your side. It shouldn’t take long to break him of pulling you.

Comment

She doesn't pull that bad. Just trying to see any of you use a good harness that's easy on/off, and comfortable for your dog.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
        Choke chain. Learn how to put it on properly and correct him when he isn’t healing by your side. It shouldn’t take long to break him of pulling you.

This!

With the comfort of the harness the dog will pull harder

Comment

I used a pinch collar over a choker..worked better

Comment

Any choke chain collar worked correctly when needed is all you need, place the chain up at the top of the neck high just behind the head and when you make ca correction don’t yell and holler just a quick jerk to get its attention. I’ve had Rottweilers, German shepherds, and French mastiffs the last 20 years never used anything more and it started with the walk as puppies. Also teach them to stay then train them to step off when you move and call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not using a choke chain boys. Used one on a dog i had years ago, worked great but also damaged dogs throat, not doing that to my 11 year old little girl. We just go on walks in the morning and afternoon. She behaves, just gets excited.

Comment

I have one of the cheap harnesses from petsmart made from the same nylon stuff as his leash. I don't think you need anything fancy, just size it correctly to the dog and it will be comfortable.

Yes, it works better than a straight collar and keeps him from sinking his head and pulling harder. A snap to the harness stops him better than a collar. Definitely worth a shot.

Comment

You don't need a choke chain. Some dogs may need it...some people like overkill. I prefer a normal collar. I found that a harness rubbed.

Comment

Using it wrong if you hurt the throat a well adjusted choke chain is loose when walking only time it should be tight is when a correction is made, there is also a wrong way to put one on. On a similar note if the dog is excited when it knows it’s going for a walk wait by the door until it calms down or your just fueling the problem. Jmho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I used both at the same time when walking my cur. Harness and a choker but rarely needed the correction. never pulled hard enough to hurt her throat and i always made a sound when i did actually have to correct her.

Comment

When a dog is pulling, most harnesses do not allow you to easily correct the dog. Like others, I use a pinch collar until the dog learns how to walk properly, then I only have to use it occasionally.

IMO, harnesses and those extendable leashes do not allow you to properly walk a dog.

Comment

They make head halters called halti's. I think that's the spelling anyway. It has a slip loop over the snout. And if they pull it turns their head. They work great and the dog figures it out pretty quick. Might give one of those a try

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
                            Not using a choke chain boys. Used one on a dog i had years ago, worked great but also damaged dogs throat, not doing that to my 11 year old little girl. We just go on walks in the morning and afternoon. She behaves, just gets excited.
                            If you damaged the dog’s throat, you used it wrong.

Comment

A harness can actually increase the dogs drive to pull. I know with my dog, when I harness her up, she will really dig in and pull. With the basic collar or "choke chain" on, just some minor correction and a corrective command will stop the pulling.

Another trick is doing about faces with the dog. When the dog starts pulling, quickly turnaround and go rapidly go the other way. On a hard headed dog it takes a bit, and you'll be doing lots of turns, but the dog figures out, it better watch you.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X