Getting rid of fleas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting rid of fleas.

So I have a flea problem and wondering if anybody has some success with getting rid of fleas.

I didn’t seem to have any until these past year and a half or so and I think it has to do with rats bringing them in.

My biggest issue is with my dogs. Their heart worm medicine has something that protects them from fleas. But it seemed like it stopped working. So I started applying flea medicine - it seemed to have worked until the last 3 months. Either their recipe changed or these fleas keep evolving.

I’ve been putting out flea killer in the yard the past couple weeks and the fleas keep coming.

All my neighbors are college kids and they have all been back home since covid so the yards are almost never getting mowed. I have also seen rats running across running across my fence. Dogs tend to hunt them down from time to time. So high grass and rats living in essentially abandoned houses are not helping.

Anybody have any tips on things I can put in the yard to repeal fleas? I think part of my issue might be that I kill fleas but they just move in from the next yard over. So a repellant may be the better way to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno if it's true,or not..Tide washing powder scattered out of a rotary spreader.I heard that in more than one class,over the years...Cheap,if it works.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

you can start with fresh mow then spread the sulpher granular around your house with a spreader. Do a really large radius around your house and it will ward them off. I put out about 100# 2 weeks ago and they are gone. after 2-3 large rain events you will have to reapply. For your dogs, Use K-9 advantix or advantage plus flea and tick. It will work immediately and lasts a while.

Comment

Prescription flea meds from the vet is the only thing that we can keep them off with. Over the counter doesn’t work for us. Fresh mow and spread DE once a week for a few weeks will
        Help too.

Comment

For the dogs, the best thing I have seen is Bravecto. It is expensive ,but one dose lasts 3 months. But has to be prescribed by a vet.

If you get them in your house, the best thing I have seen is foggers that contain Precor, which is an IGR.

Comment

Check out Flea Assassin pills for the dogs. There’s a multi step thing where you give them certain pills for a period of time and then switch to a monthly pill. Seems to work very well.

We had a similar problem before we moved and it started affecting our Labs. We’d treat our yard but no one around us would so fleas seemed to keep coming back. My chocolate male in particular was miserable and scratched himself almost raw but the Flea Assassin treatment definitely worked and got rid of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
              Prescription flea meds from the vet is the only thing that we can keep them off with. Over the counter doesn’t work for us. Fresh mow and spread DE once a week for a few weeks will
              Help too.
              This! My dogs got a monthly pill from the vet and no fleas at all.

Comment

Banana peels!
                I had a bad problem with two dogs in a small backyard so I put the dogs on a chew that lasted 3 months but don’t remember which one and bought about 7 bananas and scattered half bananas and peels evenly throughout the yard and then would eat one a day and scatter those peels as well and never had a flea problem again.

“Fools multiply when wise men are silent” -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Try nexgard, credelio, or bravecto from your vet. The over the counter flea and tick products really seem to have lost their efficacy.

I have lost count of clients who have spent so much money on different OTC formulas with zero results and are absolutely amazed at how well our prescription products work. Of course, the medications are not a repellent, so you need to make sure and treat your environment as well.

Comment

Nexgard for the dogs.

Then spray your yard and all the surrounding yards connected to your property.

Comment

Bravecto

Comment

Spread DE on the yard to kill the fleas. It’s safe for the dogs and kids.

Comment

Do the nematodes, one application worked for 3-4 years for us.

Comment

We ended up with a bad flea problem last year. It was so bad that when I walked into the backyard with white socks on they would turn almost black with fleas. They even infested one room of the house that the dog sleeps in fortunately most of our floors are hard surface and we contained them to that room.

Called the vet and they recommended the soresto flea collar for immediate relief and then we put our dog on trifexus. Next I called the pest control company and had them come spray our yard. I am not sure what they sprayed but it worked. Then I fogged the room in the house and got a glue sticky trap to monitor the situation and make sure they didn’t resurface.

Haven’t had problems since

Comment

Nematodes and banana peels

Comment

Working...
                              X