Texas Beaches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Beaches?

Wife wants to take the grand kids (ages 7 & 5) to see the ocean/beach. Wanting to go in a week or two, for 3 nights. So we'd only have 2 days there.

Looking for suggestions on best places to look at. #1 criteria is swimming, for the kids.

I'm gonna suffer through their "hanging out at the beach all day" but would be nice to be able to do some sort of "do it yourself" type of fishing as well. (I have Penn 9s & 109s - will those suffice?)

I've never been either and have no idea what type of fish to target and what to target them with lol. And, will my super combo license keep me outta jail or do I need another license?

Motel near the beach or some kind of beach house rental?

Budgeting about $1k, hopefully less.

Coming from N TX, so closer the better......

Any and all advice/suggestions appreciated.

D.

My sister in law has a place on mustang island, Port Aransas. Email her at Jdanapate@gmail.com name is Dana Pate. It’s in Lost Colony and is a nice 3 bed 3bath with a great bunk room for kids. Good surf fishing. She can send you the link and you can look at it

Comment

As far as the nicest beach, I've always liked South Padre the best. There maybe some stuff around Rockport etc...that would be just as fun.

Comment

Sent an email to the above link.

But..... knowing 0 about all this, I'm leaning towards the closer Rockport area......

Comment

rockport is on the bayside not the surf

Comment

I did a lot of checking and if you’re not stuck on Texas, Orange beach/Gulf shores was cheaper and nicer for the most part when comparing apples to apples.

I’m sure there’s some places I didn’t get to see, but just from my looking, I was around your same budget for the wife and I and Orange beach exceeded all of our expectations for around that price point.

Comment

Wheres Orange Beach?

Bout to "google" it, lol.

Comment

OK, so what is your ideal setting? Do you want more developed, lots of restaurants, bars, lots of people, etc? Do you want undeveloped and a little quieter?

Our beach at Matagorda is unique in that it is almost totally undeveloped. There are a few houses behind the dunes for a mile or so and other than that it is just natural beach with all the good and bad that go with it. If you have a 4x4 you can drive about as far as you'd like to drive. The first 3-5 miles will have lots of people. The farther down you go the fewer people. But you have no problem finding a spot with some elbow room. Driving on the beach varies with weather but with the wind we have been having and the rain we are supposed to get this week it should be pretty firm and easy to drive.

Matagorda is a smaller town and while it is bustling this time of year it isn't nearly as busy as Galveston or Port A. Also fewer restaurant options but we do still have several good places to eat. There are a couple motels and then lots of rentals including quite a few rentals either on the beach or on the river. I think rentals on the water are probably in the $250/night range but then it's a full house with kitchen, etc. Rentals off the water are less and there are a variety of options there.

You can fish the surf, river, jetties and a few other drive in spots. Crabbing is good too and it's fun for the kids, especially the age of your kids. You don't need big reels for fishing down here. Your bass tackle is fine.

If you want more developed and more shops, stores and places to eat Galveston and Port A are hard to beat.
                Last edited by Capt Glenn; 05-24-2020, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
                  Wheres Orange Beach?

Alabama
                  Check Fort Morgan Alabama also
                  It’s a little more of a drive but imo much nicer with more to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wheres Orange Beach?

The beach is a lot nicer there but you are probably looking at an 11 hour plus drive...too long for a 2 day trip for me!

Comment

Sent an email to the above link.

But..... knowing 0 about all this, I'm leaning towards the closer Rockport area......
                      Rockport is fun but just realize it isn't on the gulf so no gulf beach. Port A is on the gulf and just south of there.

Comment

Convenience is Port A
                        Best Texas beach is SPI

Comment

Unfortunately, the closer places to you are not going to have the nicer beaches and clear water. Galveston (sea wall) was the first piece of saltwater I'd ever seen, and I was highly disappointed. Went to Corpus Christi next and it was quite a bit better. We took the kids to Gulfport/Beloxi Mississippi a few years back and it was gorgeous. Of course, if you travel out of state, you'll need a new fishing license.

Comment

I've been looking for the same thing. Would a condo inland on the water in Sargent fit the bill? How are the beaches there?

Comment

I’m in Port A right now.

Tried to catch grabs yesterday but didn’t have any luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X