3 peat in Eldorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 peat in Eldorado

Last Thursday evening me and the father in law took off to his family land in Schleicher County. Had a North wind Friday so my tripod was out. Grabbed the rifle and got in the gun stand. Saw A LOT of deer Friday morning and really enjoyed being in the woods and watching the wildlife. I have a 3 second "brunch" spin set on my feeder that goes off at 8:15. As soon as it went off several deer started heading to the feeder. A really nice 4/5 yo 8pt came in from the North and after checking him out for a minute or two I decided I would kill him. Its a 125 yd shot to the feeder and I put a pretty good shot on him. He mule kicked, spun around, and did the deer plow for about 30 yds and died. Friday evening we both saw a lot of deer, but nothing that really impressed us. Saturday morning the wind turned to the South east, so the tripod was a go. Had deer at the feeder before 7:00 and at 8:25 (after the brunch spin) I picked out a nice old doe and let her eat a Muzzy for breakfast. She ran about 20 yds and was done. Saturday evening I climbed back into the tripod with the intentions of taking another doe. Feeder spun at 4:30 and had deer working through the oaks heading my way. 2 doe, a yearling and a nice 3/4 yo 8 with a broke G2 that we call "7 and a quarter". 7 1/4 is not on the hit list, so I didnt pay him much attention. Anyrate, as they are working their way closer to the feeder, I pick out the bigger doe and get ready to kill her as soon as she gives me a good angle. 7 1/4 starts messing with the girls and she wont be still for more than a second or two. All of a sudden another buck slides in to the feeder from my left. He is an older 8 point deer, probably a 5 yo and maybe 6, but he is less than average with his headgear. He outweighs 7 1/4 by at least 40 lbs, if not more. I very quickly switch from doe mode to skim mode and decide to kill the old 8. He gets broadside at 17 yds and I let the Muzzy fly making one of the worst shots I have ever made. Hit him high and spined him. He hits the dirt and starts struggling trying to get back up and I knew I needed to get another arrow in him. He finally got in a position with his belly facing me and I was able to slide another arrow through his chest and into his heart. We dont have a scale at our cleaning station but this dude weighed 170 lbs if he weighed 5. He was a toad. My FIL ended up shooting a good doe Sunday morning. We had a great trip

Anyrate, the Deer Gods took care of me this past weekend !!!
    Attached Files

Congrats!

Comment

Waydago!

Comment

Very nice! Congrats. Love Schleicher county. Hunted there off Toenail trail back around 2000. Beautiful country.

Comment

Congrats I hunt Schleicher County as well. Great place.

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Fantastic

Comment

Congrats
                    Sounds like a great weekend.

Comment

Thanks guys. Family place is off 2087 about 4 miles North of 190. Been hunting out there since 1995 and just love that country.

Comment

You were on fire this weekend. Congratulations on the eights! And to your FIL as well.

Comment

Successful weekend for sure,congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                            Thanks guys. Family place is off 2084 about 4 miles North of 190. Land has been in my in-laws family for multi generations and I have been hunting out there since 1995 and just love that country.

2084, not 2087....

Comment

Awesome just got back from Eldorado myself. Shot a beautiful 9 along a full and two doe.
                              I am still working on the meat lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X