How can a banks system get hacked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wells Fargo has porous online security

My card was compromised, and on two other separate occasions my accounts were cleaned out from within.

Idiots run their IT, and I’ve yet to witness anything resembling intelligence within the organization.

I had to fight each time my stuff was hacked, and they wrecked my credit score (cost me over 100 points) because of all the crap that was pulled, fraudulent charges, and automatic bill payments that bounced while I was fighting with them.

They can drink bleach for all I care.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
      If he wasn't issued provisional credit in the interim and it's a huge hassle, he needs a different bank. Happened to me once and I was issued a new card and account restored via provisional credit before I left the bank. Literally 10 minutes.
      Where do you bank? I'm looking. The issues I've been having have been ever since First United bought American Bank.

Comment

We got hit for over $12k last year......ard skimmer at the gas station when my wife filled up. The come back, pull the skimmer and then will make a "white card" to use at ATM's and also use the raw data for online stuff. She went to get gas one day and card wouldn't work. Come to find out there wasn't any money in the account. Luckily the bank was easy to work with and we had it all back in a couple of days. I have the app now that sends a notification every time the card is charged.

Comment

Originally posted by Bdunn View Post
          Where do you bank? I'm looking. The issues I've been having have been ever since First United bought American Bank.

It was Landmark at the time. Simmons now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

They got my wife and I for $300 in the last week on both of our cards.

Comment

We've had at least a dozen separate issues of fraudulent charges in the last year. Usually three to four charges each time. Not too long ago my business debit card was hit for $9k. I'd never used it so our assumption was someone scanned it while we were in Las Vegas. The bank always gave our money back immediately, sans the $9k, but I just got tired of going to the bank. I don't have a personal debit card anymore. Wife has one but it stays in the safe at home. So far no more fraudulent stuff in the last few months.

Comment

Every time my mother went to the hospital to have tests done, someone hacked her account. That was when your Medicare number was your SS number.

When filling out papers, I never put down my SS number.

When I hunted Colorado, if I eat and /or bought gas in Canon City, my credit card would get hacked within 2 months. Happened every time for 4 years.

Comment

In my experience banks have terrible security. Brokers and securities custodial services generally are better, but not always. Fidelity had (and still has) terrible upfront security.

Comment

I had 1200 dollars last year on a Chase credit card that i did not purchase from Toys R Us in New York. No problem getting my credit.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                      I'm pretty sure this wasn't a card skimmer unless everyone went to the same place. I say that because their were 18 others that had the same issue before I got to the bank at 11:30 AM.
                      That’s typically what happens. For example, if there are skimmers at a local gas station near your bank / credit union then multiple cards will be used there. The fraudsters will gather data over a period of time and then either sell the data on the dark web or just create a phony card using your card data. Unfortunately it’s very easy to do. Typically all of the surrounding financial institutions are impacted when this happens.

Oh, and if you use a debit card just be sure to use the transaction alerts that should be made available to you. The regulatory protection is all in favor of the consumer, so I wouldn’t be too scared of using a debit card.

Comment

Poor security.....smart thieves.....creates inconvenience. I believe I have been hit four times by thieves in the last fifteen years. Each time it was on my Debit Card. Bank of America credited back the funds by the next business day each time. After the first theft I set up alerts on my phone to see transactions quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                          Poor security.....smart thieves.....creates inconvenience. I believe I have been hit four times by thieves in the last fifteen years. Each time it was on my Debit Card. Bank of America credited back the funds by the next business day each time. After the first theft I set up alerts on my phone to see transactions quickly.
                          Did you have to pay for the alerts?

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                            I’m not aware of any banks charging for this. First off, they are required to offer transaction alerting to their cardholders. Secondly, they know they’re on the hook for the losses so they should be encouraging all customers to use it. If your bank charges for it, I’d find a new bank.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                              No. Every time I charge or my Wife charges it I receive an alert on my phone.

Comment

Mine got hacked today on a card I’ve never bought anything with. It is my business account card and prob has been used at the atm 2 times in 18 months. Last time was 6 months ago. How in the hell did they get it? Glad my bank flagged it suspicious activity and did not approve

Comment

Working...
                                X