X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that's cool to see

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      They catch a few on shark gear every year down there. I know a fellow that spear fishes some of the rigs 20 miles out and he swears there are a couple of world record gar out there.
      That would be wild to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        I heard let a customer win a tournament with it...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        lulz.

I sight casted a 35" gator gar in a creek off of baffin once. thought I was looking at a state record trout before I hooked it.

Comment

Catch them in the bay all the time. They love cut sand trout.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
            Those big gar can definitely live in the salt. I've never seen one on the beach per say, but have seen plenty in both East and West bays. Also, seen plenty under the lights at Tiki Island and Jamaica Beach canals, etc. There's a lot of marsh on the other side of the Bolivar peninsula; perhaps it swam through roll over pass?

We were drifting a shoreline in lower west bay several years ago fishing a nice little school of trout that was producing a decent slick. Anyways right about when my buddy hooked into a nice trout, a huge alligator gar popped out of the water and dove straight into that slick. Pretty darn cool, but the school of trout scattered obviously. They are around.
            If he swam through rollover, he been out there a while.

Comment

I know where some monsters are living in a hole in surfside. Been seeing them for over 10 years. I know its going to be a one and done occasion when i target them. Thinking its about time

Comment

I was fishing the reefs in east bay one summer and saw a massive one cruise by while we had the sock out and were drift fishing....also about 1990 or so while my family was staying in pirates beach area for a vacation, my old man foul hooked a really nice sized one in the tail and landed it somehow....I remember it like it was yesterday....

Comment

I was out at Bryan beach a few years ago on a semi-sporty day and saw a big ole sucker come up for air about 30 yards down from me.... weather got to bad after that...

Comment

I've seen 'em so thick rolling in Moses Lake, it looked like you could walk on 'em...

Comment

East Bay about 6 years ago:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dale, they catch that one on a rod n reel? By mistake or fishin' for 'em?

Comment

amazing

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Dale, they catch that one on a rod n reel? By mistake or fishin' for 'em?
                            My dad caught it on a rod and reel while trout fishing with croaker on a 3/0 hook. He fought it for 45 minutes or so, then I broke 2 nets trying to boat it, finally I put that rope on it and 1 arm underneath it's belly to flip it in the boat.

It was a fustercluck of the highest order...

Comment

dang i need to do some gar fishing have yet to go after those beasts

Comment

Dale, that ought to have taught you somethin'! When you fish in saltwater, always keep a gaff in the boat Just. In. Case.

Comment

Working...
                                X