Form or Bow issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form or Bow issue?

Okay so I admit it I just picked up my bow from a 10 month hiatus.

I spent a lot of time and energy last year getting my new high FOC arrow set-up flying true.

It's grouping good (for me anyway. 1 1/2" at 20 yards) but all the shots are going high and left several inches.
    I was aiming for the small red center of the target in this pic.

So the question is...

am I doing something weird with my form from being out of practice
    or
    could the bow have gotten that far out of tune just sitting in the case for that long?

Dont change anything for a few days. Probably form related if you haven't shot in so long

Comment

I had to move my sights barely after sitting in case for 8 months.. dont know if it was the new string that I had put on settling or what.. now its darts

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
        Dont change anything for a few days. Probably form related if you haven't shot in so long
        good advice

Comment

a change in anchor will cause the POI to shift.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
            2nd this. I had the same issue mid summer.

Comment

You could be pronating or worse supinating, I would suggest putting your change in your left pocket.

In all seriousness, I agree with Muddy about the anchor point. I went about 4 months earlier this year without shooting and when I starting shooting again I was doing the same thing except mine was bottom right. After shooting a few days it magically starting going where it was supposed to go.

Comment

Need to shoot a handful of groups before messing with everything.

If you're consistently shooting tight groups in the same area each time, than I would adjust your sights. I don't think anchor point has anything to do with it. From what I was taught, if you're constantly shooting tight groups in the same spot, it's not your form. Poor form reflects inconsistent grouping. I'm not a pro archer, so take it for what it's worth.

Nice group by the way.

Comment

A slight difference in wrist position and your grip can cause that change as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    A slight difference in wrist position and your grip can cause that change as well.
                    This is more than likely the problem. Just a slight variation from how you griped the bow previously makes a big difference.
                    Anchor is likely as well, but I don't think anchor is something that you would change without more drastic results.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo47 View Post
                      This is more than likely the problem. Just a slight variation from how you griped the bow previously makes a big difference.

Anchor is likely as well, but I don't think anchor is something that you would change without more drastic results.

You would be surprised. A drop in anchor point a small as a 1/4” will change the holding position and can easily cause high/low misses. The peep height is set in relation to the anchor point and the sight housing framed to that. Even the smallest departure from the original anchor point causes a ripple effect in holding position to maintain the sight picture the shooter is used to. For most it’s automatic and the compensation is done without any thought. I’m certainly no pro shooter, but I’ve had this happen to me before.

But an easy thing to do is make sure the equipment is still where it was when last you left it. I always urge customers to pull tape on a bow once it’s shooting well. Check the brace and ATA and write the measurements down. If the threads start to creep these measurement will change. 10 months is a long time, threads can certainly creep in that amount of time and the associated lengthening in the harness system can cause POI issues as well. I can add or remove twists from a cam and effect vertical impact all day long on command so it’s something to always remember.

Usually in these instances it’s the low hanging fruit like a small change in anchor point that causes issues for most folks. On a side note if the string, cable(s) start to creep then the peak draw weight will drop and the draw length increase. Hard thing to feel that’s why I scale and measure on a draw board. So in addition to Brace and ATA measurements I also record the peak weight and measured draw length as well.

OP, the reason I say this is because if you can rule out the equipment being the issue then you can get to fixing yourself faster. If you know what the issue is then you can correct it faster and get back on track. Archery is difficult enough without going down a bunch of bottomless rabbit holes.

Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                        Need to shoot a handful of groups before messing with everything.

If you're consistently shooting tight groups in the same area each time, than I would adjust your sights. I don't think anchor point has anything to do with it. From what I was taught, if you're constantly shooting tight groups in the same spot, it's not your form. Poor form reflects inconsistent grouping. I'm not a pro archer, so take it for what it's worth.

Nice group by the way.

How do you figure, it’s easy to be consistently off, it happens all the time. A person can be off and be consistently off.....especially after a 10 month break. Not saying this is the for sure issue here but it definitely warrants consideration.

Comment

Random thought that may be a factor. I have a much longer beard than last year and I'm paranoid Ill rip it off my face if it gets caught in the string. I may be adjusting subconsciously.

Comment

I find that when I start shooting high left I'm bringing my face to the the bow and not the bow to my face.
                            Essentially for ME it's a form issue, I'm hunched @ the shoulders and not sya ding straight up

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                              How do you figure, it’s easy to be consistently off, it happens all the time. A person can be off and be consistently off.....especially after a 10 month break. Not saying this is the for sure issue here but it definitely warrants consideration.

Bad form obviously can affect your shot. I'm not disputing that. How I was taught when trouble shooting accuracy is to check consistency.

If you have bad form, you're not going to be shooting super tight groups in the same spot. Your shots will be all over the place. If he's consistently shooting the same spot in tight groups, he probably needs to check his sights. This is what I was taught from a couple of guys who definitely know what they're doing. I'm not saying that his sight is definitely his problem, just listing my mental checklist.

Comment

Working...
                              X