Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pistol shooting is off...

OK, here we go ... again.

Took the 9mm out again yesterday evening, shot 50-60+ rounds ... my placement is still basically low and left. I got this pistol a few weeks back because I thought it was my .45 that was the cause and the recoil or torque.
    Obviously its just me. I'm grouping in a pie plate at 7-10 yds but its in the lower edges of it. Some shots are centered but they are random. Done all sorts of grip changes from other people's input but nothing is working to give me consistency.

Shoot more
    You can’t consistently fix anything with a box of ammo.
    I hold several handgun instructing certification through the military and our allies. And shooting more and more is all I’ve seen really work changing you pattern will come with changing your subconscious grip, stance, trigger pull, recovery. Trying to fix that with 50 rounds will work until you shoot again and don’t pay attention to all of that again. Now your pistol could be doing that but since you said you have had trouble with another sidearm. Get 5 boxes of ammo and start at 5 meters, then 7 meters, then 10 meters then jump to 15 rotate those distances with single grip and double grip and you will fix your problem. Low shots is jerking no matter which way you cut it, your anticipating your shot. Some guys I would have to break of that by putting snap caps intermittently in their magazines so they could see their horrendous jerk. After that then they did good.
    Good luck

Comment

Low left is trigger and jerking. Sounds like your jerking the trigger if you’re right handed. Use the meaty part of the trigger finger and slowly pull straight back. We tell people to drag the bottom part of your finger on the trigger guard as your pulling back to help you learn to keep your finger straight and to help with equal stacking of pressure

Comment

Double post

Comment

If you’re really low then your also jerking at the shot. Gun should surprise you at the shot, but you’re anticipating it and as you squeeze the round off you’re jerking down. As previously stated, one thing that will help is more shooting but it has to be the right way. If you put 250 rounds down range with bad habits you’re only going to solidify more bad habits. Google pistol shooting drills and watch some of the stuff out there. There’s a lot of good instructors online and several bad ones unfortunately. Travis Haley is a good one I like to reference sometimes. You can train with one box of ammo but it’s help you to get dummy rounds have someone else load up your mags so you don’t know the order and then slowly work on trigger and jerking. Don’t focus on accuracy yet. That comes after you get the fundamentals first.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post

Took the 9mm out again yesterday evening, shot 50-60+ rounds ... my placement is still basically low and left. I got this pistol a few weeks back because I thought it was my .45 that was the cause and the recoil or torque.
            Obviously its just me. I'm grouping in a pie plate at 7-10 yds but its in the lower edges of it. Some shots are centered but they are random. Done all sorts of grip changes from other people's input but nothing is working to give me consistency.
            You said yourself that you consistently shot low left. I bet if you aim high right that will fix it.

Comment

move in close ( less than 5 yards with a safe backstop) close your eyes and draw and feel the trigger,,, keep in mind you are not trying to shoot a group doing this and fire slowly and learn the feel of the trigger, do not open your eyes other than to see your still pointed at the backstop,, do not put a target out to shoot at just work on the trigger feel only..

Comment

Guys, I've definitely shot more than just 1 box of ammo. Just finding it hard to believe that shooting a semi-auto is so finicky ... evidently it is. I think I'm doing all the right things, I take 5 more shots and its all different again.
                Shot off a sandbag to justify the pistol itself and it is dead on at 10 yds.
                I do need to shoot more often, maybe the gap between my shooting sessions is too far apart (2 weeks apart on avg.) ??

Comment

I have several pistols and can shoot them well, except for my glock 19. Every shot with my Glock I am about 18+ inches high at 10 yards. I CANNOT figure it out. I understand your frustration...

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter_2 View Post
                    I have several pistols and can shoot them well, except for my glock 19. Every shot with my Glock I am about 18+ inches high at 10 yards. I CANNOT figure it out. I understand your frustration...
                    Grip angle, cock wrist down and flatten out,
                    Glocks have their own grip angle and once you figure out how to have proper trigger pull with the ligaments maxed out with that grip you will shoot it fine

Comment

Guys, I've definitely shot more than just 1 box of ammo. Just finding it hard to believe that shooting a semi-auto is so finicky ... evidently it is. I think I'm doing all the right things, I take 5 more shots and its all different again.
                      Shot off a sandbag to justify the pistol itself and it is dead on at 10 yds.
                      I do need to shoot more often, maybe the gap between my shooting sessions is too far apart (2 weeks apart on avg.) ??
                      Shoot me a pm I have some films and I teach classes to some federal and state agencies if you around the areas I go to

Comment

First, get a proper thumbs forward grip.

Second, grip more with the support hand than the strong hand. gripping hard with the strong hand will cause sympathetic movement

Third, the gun shouldn't surprise you when it goes off

Fourth, double plug

Fifth, dryfire, a lot

Sixth, when dryfiring and live firing, pay close attention to the front sight as the trigger breaks. Is it on target when the trigger breaks, or does it dip?

Seventh, don't try to do "double taps" or any of that stuff yet. Focus on grip, sight alignment, and sight tracking, not moving the gun as the trigger breaks.

Those aren't necessarily in order, more like grip, sights, dryfire, then live fire

Comment

"Shoot more" with your current bad form will not do you any good.
                          Better off shooting 5 rounds with proper form than 500 rounds with bad form.

Fix your form first. Dry fire, Dry Fire, Dry Fire.
                          #1 in any shooting is not moving the gun when squeezing the trigger.
                          Shoot a revolver and have someone else load it for you with a couple random snap caps in it. Anticipation/Flinch becomes very obvious when the gun goes click....

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                            "Shoot more" with your current bad form will not do you any good.
                            Better off shooting 5 rounds with proper form than 500 rounds with bad form.

Fix your form first. Dry fire, Dry Fire, Dry Fire.
                            #1 in any shooting is not moving the gun when squeezing the trigger.
                            Shoot a revolver and have someone else load it for you with a couple random snap caps in it. Anticipation/Flinch becomes very obvious when the gun goes click....
                            5 rounds with proper form does nothing for muscle memory
                            500 rounds does and it allows you to conform your own posture to correct your intended impact with your actual impact in a sort of walk it in method. Additionally the body quits considering recoil as an anomaly and allows concentration to be less infringed on. Revolvers are not a good trainer for semi auto grip they have an entire different grip angle . Snap caps with intermittent placing in a magazine cures anticipation and assists in remedial action drills. Everyone has great trigger pull with dry fire.
                            He doesn’t have bad form he has a bad case of recoil anticipation. I’ve trained several people with absolutely perfect stance, draw, recover, return yet there fire was messed up with recoil anticipation.
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

My wife had the same issue. No amount of range time helped. I finally bought a setup where a dry fire emits a laser onto a target that the phone camera captures. After about a week of practice with that gadget, about 30 minutes to an hour a night, cleaned up most of her issues. She still jerks shots from time to time trying to shoot faster but the mechanics cleaned up.

Comment

Working...
                              X