Anyone shoot a .38 Super?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone shoot a .38 Super?

I'm not a real big pistol guy. Not that I don't like them I just don't own many. I do like oddball cartridges though so the thought of having a .38 Super is appealing to me for some reason. Is there that much of a difference between a 9mm shooting +P ammo than shooting a .38 Super? I'm not sure why I'd need one and that it'd kill critters any deader than a 9mm would but I think the history behind the cartridge is interesting and I like 1911's so I think it'd be an interesting pistol to have.

What do y'all think of the .38 Super?

My pops has one an loves it, ammo availability is the only issue. South of the border they're extremely popular for some reason too.

Comment

I built one a few years ago and really like that round. It’s like a 9mm +p++. I wish it was more common to find and cheaper to buy because it is a sweet round and I love shooting it. I reload it and that makes it a little cheaper. You can usually find ammo for it off the shelf at cabelas or bass pro and sometimes in local gun store but it usually runs around $18-$20+ a box as opposed to $10-$12 for 9mm plinking ammo

Comment

Originally posted by talleywack97 View Post
        My pops has one an loves it, ammo availability is the only issue. South of the border they're extremely popular for some reason too.
        South of the border they are extremely popular because of ammo availability. My family is from Guerrero Mexio and that is the number 1 handgun cartridge over there. People will pay big money for a .38 Super opposed to a 9 or a 45 and dont even let me get started on the narcos from that area. .38 Super is the hot sauce over there

Comment

I have a 1958 Colt 1911 in 38 Super. My favorite pee-stola!

Comment

Love mine. Enjoy shooting it. Getting ammo is no problem on the net.

Comment

The reason they are popular south of the border is that it is not a police or military caliber. Citizens south of border are not allowed to have firearms in caliber used by police or military, hence the number of .38 super guns. Lot of 1911 supers south of border.

Comment

I have a couple Colt 1911 38 supers. If your buying one to shoot and pack dont buy a Colt.
                Aint nothing more sickening to see a Colt 38 Super all beat up and scratched, knowing that it could have been worth 1800.00 plus.

I have seen Colt 38 Super 1911's bring big money, certain models will fetch 1800.00 easy. I have a friend that owns 13 Colt 1911 variations in 38 Super, he has bought half of them down in the valley. Some of the older ones he has bought have always been owned by Pancho Villa. Of course Pancho was killed in 1923 and the Super came out about 5 years later. Pancho packed a Colt Bisley in 44-40. He got kilt on July 20, 1923 driving a Dodge and reaching for that Bisley.

Sorry for the rant, could not help myself. I get all nerdy about Colts and outlaws.

Comment

If I get one I'm thinking I might by a Llama. Although I did see a pretty sweet Colt on the internet. There was only 300 made and it costs about $4,000. If I got something like that I'd get it out to look at every once in a while and then I'd put it right back. I want something I ain't afraid to take out and shoot every now and then.

Thanks for the good information everyone.

Comment

I had one in a 1911 and loved it. Sold it and should not have!

Comment

I have had a couple in the past, very good round,, closer to a 357 mag than a 9mm power wise.... was and still is popular in competition,, also easy enough to swap the barrel out for a 9mm, best to change the extractor but I have done it without the swap

Comment

I saw an EAA for sale. Looks like a pretty nice gun but I don't know anything about them. I think if I'm gonna go with an old school cartridge I'm better off sticking to a 1911. Just seems right but that EAA has that look about it like it'd be accurate as heck.

Comment

Inherited an 1966 Colt Super .38 Automatic from my dad. All blue. He carried it on his last mule trip through Big Bend.

Comment

I have a full size & a lw commander, both customs...great round in the 1911 platform.

Comment

I’ve had a super.

I would probably just get a 9mm though

Comment

Working...
                              X