Alternatives to .243 for youth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatives to .243 for youth...

My 10 year old son is comfortable shooting a .243, but I'd like something that would leave a little better blood trail. Maybe something with more knockdown. I'm a bowhunter, not a gun nut. Always wanted a .308 but not sure how much more recoil this would have. I know they make a 7mm-08 too. Any recommendations.....

Just not a big fan of a .243

I had a Ruger #1 in 7x57 mauser when I was a kid. Wish I still had it.

Comment

.243 is my minimum for kids. .308 does have some substantial kick. Maybe an old school .30-30- seems less kick than my .308.

Comment

7mm08

Comment

He's a good shot, but he get's excited when he's about to shoot at a deer, so in the case of a less then perfect shot I'm thinking of something just a hair bigger. On paper he kills the target. He's just as good, if not a better shot then me actually. When I rifle hunt for deer I actually hunt with a 22-250, and have never lost a deer. When I was a kid I used a 30-06 and did make some poor shots, and I found the deer, but that gun knocked the snot out of me, and didn't help my shooting skills one bit.

Comment

7mm08 is a nice choice. Plenty of gun selections as well as ammo selections. We got my wife a weatherby from droptine8850 and it's a great shooting gun with minimal recoil.

Comment

I just have seen bad results in less then perfect shots with the .243. No blood trail etc.

Comment

Don't get me wrong if you hit where you're supposed to, you can kill an elk with a .243. I get that....

Comment

243 is a fine gun for whitetails within a 200 yd shot just be sure and get some good premium loads with a good 100 gr partition or bonded bullet and you're good to go.

Comment

I would have him use a .243, for a while at least . My kids all killed there first 5 or so deer with a 243 and then moved up to the 270/.308/.3006 level. The .243 is a perfectly good deer caliber and it is easy for young or smaller people to shoot.

Comment

260 or a 7/08....

308 in a light youth size rifle has a LOT of kick.

Comment

30-30. My daughter has a .243 single shot that she shoots real well, but she says my 30-30 kicks her less and she enjoys shooting it. Since it's not likely your son will be shooting at anything beyond 150 yards, a good 30-30 is really all he needs for now.

Comment

7/08
                          25/06

Comment

Switch ammo Hornady Zmax is great ammo for a .243

Comment

sounds like more trigger time and shot placement needs to be worked on over bigger bullet. Your own post answers your question regarding that topic, because of your own experience with the incorrect gun for you at a younger age. Poor shot is a poor shot regardless of caliber, and a bullet .050 bigger wont help with that.

The bigger the bullet, the more recoil and muzzle blast, the more flinching, the worse shot placement. there is nothing wrong with a 243 for him, and even better would be the 22-250 because of bullet design and velocity impact. youre looking at almost 5lbs felt recoil compared to almost 9lbs for 243, and 15lbs for 308. Hell of a difference!

Comment

Working...
                              X