Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many here started their own company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started a construction cleanup and dirtwork business from scratch in 2001. Sold it in 2009, at the height I had 5 employees, 2 truck/dump trailers and 1 skid loader working 6 days a week.

After that In 2011 I started piddling with doing skull mounts for myself and friends. Last season I did close to 100 skull mounts and its turned into a pretty good little side business!

Comment

Started a fried chicken place years ago. Ran it for two years then sold it to someone who wanted it more than me and had more money than sense.

Started a computer and networking business that did very well and sold that to my partner then went to work for one of our big customers doing the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
        Did any of you guys reach out to family and friends for initial investment help? If so, how did you present it? What did you offer in return?
        I did. Payed them back with 10% interest in less than a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
          Oilfield Service Company. We build MWD directional and Gamma tools. Love it.
          Tom makes really cool stuff. I was fortunate to get a tour of his place from him.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
            This is all that matters. So many people get hung up on growth and annual revenue...I've done it too. At the end of the day, the amount you KEEP is the only part that matters. Congrats to you for recognizing that.
            Thank ya sir!
            Yeah,I nearly went broke over a venture I talked myself into..Should've leased the equipment,instead of purchased;first of all..My banker lady tried to tell me and I didn't listen.(what did she know.She just sees it everyday![emoji1787])

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Started a security alarm company that I sold a few years ago. Took a few years off to relax/hunt, now back in the security game and a few other.

Fort Knox Security offers quality security system installation designed to meet your unique needs and requirements. Contact us today.

Just fill out the form below and we can help you find low rates when your contract expires. Some energy companies raise their electric rates when your term expires, so you'll want to be on the ball, and ready to switch providers or plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                I did. Payed them back with 10% interest in less than a year.
                Interesting ...thanks Gunny. What was the biggest hurdle you faced getting it up and going? Forming and securing the name? Webpage? Tooling? Thank again

Comment

I do. Left the corporate rat race, commutes, fancy offices and ties and 5 years ago my wife and I started a farm. We raise pasture raised broilers, turkey, and pigs. We also run grass fed lamb, goat, and beef.

Days are long, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Best decision I've made.

Comment

1) Custom Fence Company (in college)
                    2) Pryme Time Sports Agency (We had one client who played for the Broncos)
                    3) Lake Fork Lodge (Still in business. 26 years)
                    4) Rainswood Construction (Still in business. 19 years)
                    5) Lake Fork Auto (formed so I could attend auto auctions to buy and sell autos)

Comment

I’ll go, general Contracting and roofing business. Love it. Always working on new adventures.

Comment

Started a recruiting company and had it for about 5 years a while back. Focused on O&G and IT

Comment

Not yet still trying to think of one

Comment

At what point did you business owners think “I can do this crap on my own” and take the leap? I turn 26 Sunday. Currently working in Road and bridge construction. There are always small subcontractors I see and think I could do what they’re doing, but always fear the unknown. Mainly in construction I think the initial overhead costs are what bothers me the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                              At what point did you business owners think “I can do this crap on my own” and take the leap? I turn 26 Sunday. Currently working in Road and bridge construction. There are always small subcontractors I see and think I could do what they’re doing, but always fear the unknown. Mainly in construction I think the initial overhead costs are what bothers me the most.

I also work in road and bridge construction. The lack of competent, dependable subcontractors in the Houston area is unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post

I started at age 20. Why wait. If it doesn't work out you can always try again until it does. Gamble while you're young. Don't wait until you are too old and can't recover if it doesn't work out.

Comment

Working...
                                X