Do you mount your own optics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you mount your own optics?

If so what is your preferred method? A couple years back I invested in some optics mounting tools like the Wheeler Fat Wrench and the Professional Leveling System. I have been thoroughly disappointed with the leveling system. I set it up as instructed and when I look through the scope the crosshair is way out. I always end up using something like a string with a plumb bob on my back fence or some other plum object to reference my reticle to. Figured I would inquire to see how its done in some other ways.

I do, generally just use a corner of the room or door framing. When I was a youngster there wasn't money around for all the technicality that someone has convinced everyone they've got to have for it to function. That's how we did it then, that's how I do it now, and everything I shoot gets just as dead as anybody else's!

Comment

I have the same tools you describe. I have discovered that leveling a scope off the turret cap is a bad idea bc they're not always level. Better to level using the bottom of the body of the scope on the flat part.

Comment

I was having some issues with a factory savage 300wm and took it to Aaron Roberts for diagnosis. He took my scope off an remounted it. He squared the cross hairs using a plumb string across the parking lot that he had setup for that task. He could do them any way he wants but chose that way. Says something I guess.

Comment

I set a level across the scope base to get the rifle level. Then I put a level across the scope turret to get the scope level.

It works for me.

Comment

I use a Starrett machinist level. That plastic crap isn’t accurate. It’s a pain because it’s so sensitive. But it’s dead nuts accurate when done.

Comment

Level the Rifle, then Level the scope. Not much to it. I just use a small bubble level

Comment

You can't do any better than the plumb bob method.

Comment

Once I am sure myrail is correct I use one of these:
                  Easy to use, simply insert the leveler between the bottom turret and base plate will level the reticle precisely Maximum clearance between bottom turret and gun stock is 1.1'' Two levelers supplied, small one can be embeded into the larger one to save storage Right angle mark on both levelers to avoid wrong direction M

A machinist friend made mine for me, but it's pretty much the same as that set up.

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
                    Once I am sure myrail is correct I use one of these:
                    Easy to use, simply insert the leveler between the bottom turret and base plate will level the reticle precisely Maximum clearance between bottom turret and gun stock is 1.1'' Two levelers supplied, small one can be embeded into the larger one to save storage Right angle mark on both levelers to avoid wrong direction M

A machinist friend made mine for me, but it's pretty much the same as that set up.
                    That's a neat tool

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                      That's a neat tool
                      They work really well. I used a plumb bob prior to that, and it worked as well as anything to be honest, but this really takes any guess work out of the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                        You can't do any better than the plumb bob method.

Comment

I mounted my last ones with the tools mentioned and it came out ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I level the rifle and the optic

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                              Level the Rifle, then Level the scope. Not much to it. I just use a small bubble level
                              Me too

Comment

Working...
                              X