Free Choice Protein, All Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
    In Oklahoma we are feeding protein year round.

Free choice, timed or a combo?
    Last edited by TXUSMC; 08-06-2019, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
      Free choice, timed or a combo?
      I think that depends on your budget. I do free choice. That way the deer dictate what they need and not the other way around.

Comment

We used to feed from January thru September but as soon as we stopped we would see a lot of our older bucks leave. Now we feed free choice from January thru September and then use our Krivoman timed protein feeders from September thru end of December. We started doing this three years ago and it's helped a lot in terms of keeping the bucks on our property.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
          We used to feed from January thru September but as soon as we stopped we would see a lot of our older bucks leave. Now we feed free choice from January thru September and then use our Krivoman timed protein feeders from September thru end of December. We started doing this three years ago and it's helped a lot in terms of keeping the bucks on our property.
          This is what i'm about to try. Let 'em eat all they want from January through September. Then basically use the protein as an attractant during hunting season. I'm using a Boss Buck feeder w/ Hammer Timer and CoonHoods. Seems to me to be an effective strategy to try.

Comment

Low fence? I used to do all free choice but it got expensive. Now I do timed protein and corn 365 days a year, and see just as much on cams.

Comment

Another option I did last year is I would put some sweet feed in the place of the protein for a few months of deer season to try and attract even more deer it seemed to work pretty good . It’s about 2 dollars a bag cheaper than protein. I’m going to try it again this season. We have separate protein stations from the corn feeders. But will put it in just a couple of the protein feeders that are the closest to the corn feeders.

Comment

Well, if you want to shoot mature deer and just started feeding protein, you have to wait at least 5 years to shoot a trophy. You’ll want all the does, bucks, and fawns to have been on protein 4 at least 6 years so they’re mature

Comment

It is low fence. We don’t have huge numbers. Right now we’re running two 600 lb protein feeders and probably refilling them once every 4-5 weeks.

Sweet Feed? Please elaborate.

Comment

Don’t ever stop

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
                      It is low fence. We don’t have huge numbers. Right now we’re running two 600 lb protein feeders and probably refilling them once every 4-5 weeks.

Sweet Feed? Please elaborate.

This right here is sweet feed deer love it and is a little cheaper to feed during the fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                        This right here is sweet feed deer love it and is a little cheaper to feed during the fall

I tried some years back and it gummed up in the protein feeder because it was to sticky, wouldn’t let it flow. Do you dump it in a trough?

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                          I tried some years back and it gummed up in the protein feeder because it was to sticky, wouldn’t let it flow. Do you dump it in a trough?

Yeah it’s better if you can put it in a trough . But I have put it in a free choice feeder it worked ok .there is different brands of it that is a lot more sticky and clumps together then others the the bag that’s in the picture usually isn’t near as sticky as others . And flowed good in the free choice I put it in .

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                            Yeah it’s better if you can put it in a trough . But I have put it in a free choice feeder it worked ok .there is different brands of it that is a lot more sticky and clumps together then others the the bag that’s in the picture usually isn’t near as sticky as others . And flowed good in the free choice I put it in .

Boss Buck?

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                              Boss Buck?

No it was a foreverlast protein head

Comment

We feed from
                                January to September. We got 1400 acres have to feeding stations go through about 2,000 pounds every 3 weeks. They love it. But we don’t hunt over em. Plus can’t afford to feed all year round. All year round I could see how it would be better

Comment

Working...
                                X