Rifle/Caliber Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
    Help me decide on a new bolt action under $500. I like Savage.

I’m guessing my options are limited to:
    Savage Axis II XP (I like the wood grain option)
    Savage 11/111
    Thompson/Center Compass or Venture
    Ruger American

Also recommendations on caliber because I can’t decide. I’m looking for something else lightweight for whitetail. I currently have a .260 Remington bolt action and a 6.5 Grendel AR15. Everything else is chambered in a smaller caliber. I’m leaning towards a 7mm08 but can’t decide. Is there anything else I should consider? My shots shouldn’t me any further than 300 yards. Most of them inside of 200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    the 7mm08 is a great choice you will not regret it,,, the 308 would be my next choice,,,,, if you want a long action non magnum the 30-06 is still king of the hill, easy to find and also good at extended range

Comment

7mm-08 would be my first choice but at the ranges you're looking at there isn't much difference in 260, 6.5, 7mm-08 or 308. If you don't reload 6.5 Creedmoore and 308 ammo is cheaper than the rest at the big box stores. I have never shot one but don't care for the Savage trigger, they do get great reviews. The Ruger Hawkeyes with their new trigger are excellent guns.

Comment

Remington 700 SPS for that price point. Have several and all are spot on with accuracy. 243 Nice mid size caliber. check out www.grabagun.com

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post
          To me, it seems like the 7/08 although a good cartridge, won’t do much different than the 260 you already have. Are you replacing the that rifle?
          Not replacing it. The .260 is a bench gun with a 16” heavy barrel. I’m wanting something s little smaller and lightweight for carrying to field.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
            Not replacing it. The .260 is a bench gun with a 16” heavy barrel. I’m wanting something s little smaller and lightweight for carrying to field.

Go 708 in savage or Ruger. It will do everything you’re asking of it and then some. You are also tossing a heavier bullet downrange but not into the 30 cals yet.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Go with the Ruger American Predator

Comment

Rem 243 should be just perfect

Comment

Out of those, I’d go with the 11.

I had a TC that shot really well, but the bolt stop broke and it took 3 month to get a new one AND they charged me $20. It just burned me.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                    You can get a Tikka for $575 on Bud's.

Or get a Weatherby/Howa
                    This is what I would do in .270.

I don't like the the Ruger Americans at all. Trigger, stock, and action all suck to me. They're very accurate though. The savage axis is about the same. Got a 25-06 111 from savage in the safe. The other options listed above are better rifles.
                    Last edited by Arrowthreat; 08-01-2019, 10:23 AM.

Comment

OP, can't think of much better than that .260 you have now. If you switch, go with the Savage.

Comment

I have the Thompson center compass In 6.5 Creedmoor. Gun shoots lights out. 1/2” or less at 100.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Look hard at the Mossberg Patriot. Wood stock ones run about $500 or less with the package scope. The scope is usable, but not great. Synthetics are about $325 bare, and the stock is flimsy. But they shoot lights out. I have a few of the Savage's, 2 Ruger Americans, and 2 Mossbergs. Not enough difference to make a difference.

Comment

Savage makes an Axis XP in 280AI as well. Awesome round, but might not be the best for ammo availability.

Comment

Weatherby S2 in 257 Mag.

Thread is over.

Comment

Want something smaller than the .260, get a Savage in .22/250.

Comment

Working...
                                X