Turnips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turnips

Part of my food plot this year included turnips. The turnips look great!

The deer don't seem to be eating them though. I thought I read on here that it takes a freeze to make them palatable. We had a freeze last week.

What is it going to take to get them to eat the turnips? I mean, I personally don't like turnips, but I've heard deer do.

Should I disc it and if so when?

Just leave them alone and try again next year

Comment

Give the native foliage time to disappear. Shouldn’t be long

Comment

Some folks have told me that deer never eat the turnips they plant. I plant them along with Daikon radish. Deer will eat tops and roots of the radish and eat the turnip bulbs after a freeze. They will pull them out of the ground and take bites out of them.

Comment

They’re on my turnips hard right now. We’ve had some nights in the teens and that sets them off. I have one 3 acre plot that is chock full of them.

I love greens and boiled turnips as well, so it’s a win win.

Comment

Leave them. Deer will eat them.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
              Leave them. Deer will eat them.
              Experienced this last year, they will eat them when all else fails

Comment

I hear they hit them after a good freeze.

Comment

I have personally watched deer eat turnip greens several times. I would leave them.

Comment

I planted some a few years ago and the deer never did touch them.

Comment

Need a couple good freezes on them before the deer will hit them. It will happen.

Comment

try putting a couple pans of cornbread out there with em. works for me

Comment

It depends on natural food that is available...I would give it time and let the other foods get eaten....

Comment

They eat the tops early but it was takes a few freezes after the bulb matures to make it sweet. They eat them at my place every year.

Comment

Second year, nothing eating them yet, not even hogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X