Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myth Busted! - Rams are delicious to eat!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This recipe will work on Rams, Chupacabra, and Unicorns

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
      Dad killed a Rocky Mountain Big Horn sheep a few years ago. He had it done into snack stics and it was excellent.
      Bighorn is very, very good tasting. Nothing at all like nasty aoudad or farm animal sheep. I expected mine to taste bad, but I was shocked at how good it was. It tasted like axis, only not quite as tender. I wish I could shoot 3 or 4 of them every year.

Aoudad make cool looking mounts, but coyotes won't even eat the carcasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndadio View Post
        I'll stick to believing the "myth".
        Me too.

People say chitlins taste good, but I'll never know. Anything that smells like that, I ain't eating.

Comment

Yak. Buzzard meat!!!!

Comment

This looks tasty!!! I killed a corsican about a month ago and decided to take the backstrap and try it out. I'm not too fond on the idea of killing something and not eating it especially with a game animal. If it tastes bad, well I won't hunt for that animal again. Rodents, hogs and predators are a different story. I personally eat hogs I shoot bc I like it, but they're a problem animal so I don't get too bent out of shape if people don't eat em. Anyways, I cooked that backstrap the same as I would a deer and my wife and I both agreed that it was the best game animal I've ever cooked. To me, it gives the liberals and anti-hunting maniacs more ammo against us if we're hunting just for the killing and trophy aspect. I love the trophy and the thrill of the kill the most, but it's only right to eat it. Props to the OP on this recipe. Hopefully more people will see it and give it a try.

Comment

Oh and chitlins tastes like complete crap.... literally.

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Myth Busted! - Rams are delicious to eat!!

Originally posted by thepkmac View Post
                  This looks tasty!!! I killed a corsican about a month ago and decided to take the backstrap and try it out. I'm not too fond on the idea of killing something and not eating it especially with a game animal. If it tastes bad, well I won't hunt for that animal again. Rodents, hogs and predators are a different story. I personally eat hogs I shoot bc I like it, but they're a problem animal so I don't get too bent out of shape if people don't eat em. Anyways, I cooked that backstrap the same as I would a deer and my wife and I both agreed that it was the best game animal I've ever cooked. To me, it gives the liberals and anti-hunting maniacs more ammo against us if we're hunting just for the killing and trophy aspect. I love the trophy and the thrill of the kill the most, but it's only right to eat it. Props to the OP on this recipe. Hopefully more people will see it and give it a try.

Rodents. I've killed a pile of them. Black and white with spiral horns!!!

As far as all that other I don't subscribe to the thought that if it is not consumed by humans it's wasted. Lots of little critters will enjoy a carcass. Lots of em.

Comment

if you cook it uncovered first, how do you keep the herbs from burning at such a high heat? i can see covering it so that the flavor infuses into the meat, but burning it will give it a bitter taste in areas where it chars.

The broth will knock a lot of the flavor of the meat out with the garlic and beef stock, so it is kind of masking the actual taste of the meat.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                      Had to go back and look this one up. I have a couple deer roasts thawing out that I am going to try this with.
                      Brother, you do this recipe with a venison leg, and your whole family will be fighting over even the bone afterwards!

Originally posted by MA ELite View Post
                      gonna have to try this.
                      when we go on the hunt in July, you will see that I will be at the skinning station, claiming every single leg that somebody doesn't want!

Originally posted by rsquared View Post

i would have to think they meat you ate was bad to begin with,
                      how did you handle it and how long was it till you got it on ice or in a cooler.
                      This ^^^^^

it is so much less about the animal, than it is about how you take care of the meat.

Originally posted by thepkmac View Post
                      Thank you - I hope you and your family enjoy the recipe, and many great meals to come!

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                      if you cook it uncovered first, how do you keep the herbs from burning at such a high heat? i can see covering it so that the flavor infuses into the meat, but burning it will give it a bitter taste in areas where it chars.

The broth will knock a lot of the flavor of the meat out with the garlic and beef stock, so it is kind of masking the actual taste of the meat.
                      all very legitimate concerns. To address them:

1. I only cook it uncovered for the first 30 minutes, to put a nice little brown color on it.

2. since it is cover the rest of the time, none of the herbs burn, and there is no bitter taste to worry about.

3. although the stock does add a certain character into the finished product, it does not take away from the natural taste of the meat, and make it seem masked, as you had said.

Comment

This went in the oven at noon, plan on eating about 6 or 7 this evening. House is already smelling great.

Comment

Took a trip to an undeveloped part of the world and ate pretty much nothin' but mutton for a month. It looks good when you do it but I really have lost my taste for it.

Comment

Well now you've given me a very good reason to go on an aoudad hunt...

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                              This went in the oven at noon, plan on eating about 6 or 7 this evening. House is already smelling great.
                              Your house will be for sale by 8.

Comment

I'd rather spend the effort on some Brisket and BB ribs.

Comment

Working...
                                X