sweeten a spot or two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sweeten a spot or two

I know(along with probably a thousand more people) of a couple of oak islands in a land of Pines. Actually there are four or five such "oak islands" distributed amongst this area of a NF.

Just considering getting some tree spikes(fertilizer stakes) and sweeten a stand or two of these oaks up for hunting.

How long do you think it would take to see a result from this? Six months, two years,etc......?

Do you think this might even be worth doing?

Ever done it?

I’ve had the same thought before myself. Not sure if fertilizing would be worth it since it would require a good amount but I was told (unsure if it’s true) that you can legally place mineral blocks in the NF outside of regular hunting season. Not sure how true it is, but if it is it’ll definitely sweeten a spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I read somewhere that someone had studied that and said that it didn’t do any good, but I’ll bet it wouldn’t do any harm either. One thing I will say, I have some red oaks in my food plot that got the benefit of perfect ph and the correct fertilizer for years and I can’t see any difference in mast production.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
        I’ve had the same thought before myself. Not sure if fertilizing would be worth it since it would require a good amount but I was told (unsure if it’s true) that you can legally place mineral blocks in the NF outside of regular hunting season. Not sure how true it is, but if it is it’ll definitely sweeten a spot.

Mineral blocks might be interesting, if they're not considered baiting.

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        I read somewhere that someone had studied that and said that it didn’t do any good, but I’ll bet it wouldn’t do any harm either. One thing I will say, I have some red oaks in my food plot that got the benefit of perfect ph and the correct fertilizer for years and I can’t see any difference in mast production.
        What I read... somewhere, it made the mast more favorable; sweeter, more minerals, ????

Comment

I asked a similar question a few weeks back and the consensus seemed to be not to fertilize/results from fertilizing were negligible

Comment

Interesting ??? Worth a try... Maybe do a area common area defined to right or left of your line of sight from your stand..That way you can see if it increases activity or not...

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post

Minerals are 100% considered baiting.

Comment

No doubt in my mind deer prefer acorns from fertilized trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                  Minerals are 100% considered baiting.

I assumed so and that’s why I haven’t done it. Wanted to consult the GW before doing it

Comment

I have been doing it for years, I assure you it works. Bury some fertilizer on the drip line, you can thank me later. It also works on browse.

Comment

for those that are in the affirmative, what kinda fertilizer did you use?

Jobe's tree spike or bag fertilizer. What ratios 1-1-1, 3-1-2, ????

Comment

Working...
                      X