No announcement yet.

Finally got my lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as picking up on threads, if your just cleaning up the threads, get you a good set of thread files. Save you a lot of time.

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
      Stick1, I'm looking to pick up the long stem indicator after Christmas. How long do I need? I found an Interapid with a 2.75" stem that measures to .0005 accuracy, but there is also an option of buying a standard length .0001 indicator and a double length (1.45") stem, so I'd end up with a 2 tenths indicator instead of a 5 tenths, although I'm not sure the difference really matters that much. I'm assuming the longer the stem, the better, but wanted to confirm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
      The first one you mentioned is exactly the one you need

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
        The first one you mentioned is exactly the one you need
        Thanks that's what I thought, just wanted to verify. I'll probably order it tomorrow. Everyone said I'd spend more on tooling than the machine.... not yet, but I see that it won't take long to get there. Next up odds the fixture to hold bolts so I can thread them for a tactical knob, but I asked for that for Christmas, so maybe I'll get lucky. I'm not sure about the action truing fixture, I've got enough material, but not sure I have enough length in my boring bar, and I'll definitely have to buy a longer drill bit.

I built my outboard spider over the weekend. First attempt wasn't perfect, I oversized it about 4 thou, ado I went out and bought some gauges so I could get a more accurate reading, flipped it around in the chuck and bored the other side out until it is a snug slip fit. It's still not perfect because my bolt holes apparently didn't go straight in. They are all at 90 degrees around the circumference, but a couple angle out toward the end of the tube a tiny bit, but I think they'll still work out just fine.

Comment

I am not a professional but I chose the .0001" over the .0005" Interapid
          because of what you loose when a 2.75" is used. More accuracy never hurts.

I do use a Brown and Sharpe .0005" indicator and range rods to roughly
          dial in too.

Comment

We use several examples of both around the shop. I dont find one to be more accurate than the other in reality. It's pretty easy to resolve .0001 with the .0005 graduations. Especially when you consider how we are all using them to dial in bores. Zero being zero. One advantage of the .0005 model is that it comes calibrated for the long stem and reads true. I have not found a .0001 model that is calibrated for a stem long enough to reach the throat in most chambers so most have a significant error at 2.75". Again, no big deal as zero is zero when your dialed in.

Comment

I have a Lilja barrel in .308 Tight Neck. I need neck reamed to use standard cases. Right now I have to turn the necks down to .009 to give me a .002 release on the bullet.

Comment

We use several examples of both around the shop. I dont find one to be more accurate than the other in reality. It's pretty easy to resolve .0001 with the .0005 graduations. Especially when you consider how we are all using them to dial in bores. Zero being zero. One advantage of the .0005 model is that it comes calibrated for the long stem and reads true. I have not found a .0001 model that is calibrated for a stem long enough to reach the throat in most chambers so most have a significant error at 2.75". Again, no big deal as zero is zero when your dialed in.
                Agreed zero is zero. With my age the higher resolution is easier on my eyes

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                  Agreed zero is zero. With my age the higher resolution is easier on my eyes

That's a fact. I feel like I always had pretty good eyesight before I started staring at indicators and trying to pick up threads all day. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                    Schlitz will give you the can't remember for sure. Thanks for the advice, I never thought about practicing on factory take offs. Good stuff.

If you can make a road trip to Ft.Worth, I'll load you up with takeoffs to practice on. You can also see some of our set ups to get some ideas and I can show you how we indicate a barrel.

Comment

If you can make a road trip to Ft.Worth, I'll load you up with takeoffs to practice on. You can also see some of our set ups to get some ideas and I can show you how we indicate a barrel.
                      Sounds like fun to me, but it'll be a while. Maybe I can convince the wife that we need to make a trip up there to celebrate something.

Comment

As promised, here are some of my first projects on the lathe. That's actually 3 different knobs. The one with the casing in it was just a fun idea I had those morning, I think it turned out pretty well. I should have used 308 or 243 brass, since I dont have a Blackout bolt gun, but this fit the drill size without me having to bore the pocket larger.

Comment

Sweet looking knobs! Love the case set in!! Are they aluminum, stainless, titanium?

Comment

Thanks for the comments. They are aluminum, but I might have to try some stainless next. I'll need to paint these, probably Cerakote, but stainless wouldn't need that.

Comment

Looking good! Did you thread the bolt handle as well?

Comment

Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X