Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(SLOW) Chevy Cummins Build

Per a few requests I have decided to post my build on here. Enjoy

I received this pickup in april 2005 as a HS graduation present my dad bought... I had heard soo many of my dad's buddies say if they only had their first pickup back or Man I wished i hadnt sold it. I knew the first look at the pickup it would never be sold. All i wanted back then was a single cab, long bed, 4wheel drive, with a 6" lift and 35" tires.

Well....Somewhere along the way i got carried away and at times in over my head, but slowly my brother and i worked through it to get to where we are today.

I dont have any pics of it before i built a new motor for it and lifted it.
    Specs of how it sit i pic below. 1977 chevy K10, 6" lift (all spring no blocks) 285/75-16 nitto terra grapplers, 3.08gears 12 bolt rear and D44 front. TH350 trannny / NP203 transfer case. The motor is a 350 4 bolt main, bored 30 over, flat top pistons,202 double hump heads, Stainless steel valves, roller rocker, Comp extreme 4x4 cam, pete jackson timing gear set, stock intake, 650 edelbrock carb, headers back to 3" pipe and two chamber flowmasters dumped under the bed.

I got it there and after blowing up the original motor, 2 trannys, i finally broke a ujoint and both yokes on the rear drive shaft. So rather than fix it. I tore it apart and began this: 2007

I found a new frame for this project. I sand blasted it, then primered and painted. Once back in the shop, i stripped the frame down and started the build. i found an 84 4 door 2wd dually chevy with a cummins swapped in to it. I traded a guy another pickup for his. Jerked the cummins out of there sold the dually and gave away the auto tranny from behind the cummins. I later found a dodge being parted out and picked up a 5 speed manual 2wd tranny. I put the cummins on a cherry picker a regasketed the motor. I knew it ran fine from the previous truck it was in. But, once you tear into them you find problems ,2 bent push rods. The only thing we can figure happened is somebody got carried away with the ether one cold morning and it back fired something fierce. Being it had an automatic behind it overrev was not really a factor. The tranny came out of a running truck and it was good. there were a multitude of crossmembers i moved, built and modified to get the cummins to sit between the frame rails. The cummins now sitting in the frame rails i had to get it rolling so i picked up 8" front lift springs and 4" rear with a shckle flip. I added 1' add a leafs front and rear for a grand total or 9"s of lift.
    i picked up a 73 3/4 ton 4wd with 4.10 gears for the axles. the rear was in good shape and the front needed everything replaced from the knuckles out (wheel bearings ,rotors, brakes, ball joints) also purchased a crossover steering kit for the fron D44 from offroad design. Got it all put together and looking good. Then once again i had a new idea, I thought the D44 wouldnt be enough axle to hold up the cummins so i bought another pickup. It was a 1979 4 door longbed one ton 4wd hunting truck. I Pulled the Dana 60 out pickep up another 3/4ton front end swapped it in and sold it for the same money i had in it. Pretty Sweet....Wrong the front axle was locked up and needed a full rebuild. Here we go i rebuilt the whole front axle (gears, bearings,kingpins, wheelbearings, lock out hubs, you name it i replace it. So that got me thinking bout the rear and might as well rebuild it too. i replaced everything but the gears they were in good shape and swapped out the drum brakes for disc. With all that finished up i need a transfer case. I looked high and low finally my brother found what i was looking for up in the pan handle a divorced NP205 out of a 70 3/4ton international pickup. Got a good price and i was set. Wrong again it needed a complete rebuild. I also had to find the crossemember for that transfercase and finally did in Ohio. It was shipped to me and come to find out it was cracked. So i had them send another and its perfect. Somewhere in the midst of this i added a fuel tank from a suburban and ditched the old saddle tanks. That pretty much brings us up to date i just finished the transfercase rebuild about a week ago. i left some stuff out but i cant sit here all day and bore the crowd...

more to come having trouble uploading

subscribed!

Comment

Subscribed! Do all the fab. work yourself?

Comment

Just kidding, this is gonna be a sweet truck. And would be an interesting project. Can you say 'Subscribed!'

Comment

Is the 3/4 ton axle better to run with on the lighter trucks instead of a 1 ton? I want to throw a solid axle under my K1500 Blazer to rid of the IFS under it now.

Comment

While i regasketed the motor i did fix the Killer dowel pin

Dana 60 Front axle before being rebuilt

and its' internals

The truck also received a new 3rd gen fly wheel,pressure plate and single disc clutch from Valair rated for 650+ HP

And a rough ideas of how tall it will be, Im 6'1"
            Last edited by cumminchevy; 05-23-2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Been waiting for this thread for a while now!!!

Comment

Might wanna edit some of the pics

Comment

Man, it might be just my phone, but the only pictures I see are of your A/C compressor...

Comment

Originally posted by 2012DXT View Post
                    Is the 3/4 ton axle better to run with on the lighter trucks instead of a 1 ton? I want to throw a solid axle under my K1500 Blazer to rid of the IFS under it now.
                    It never hurts to go heavier duty. It really depends on what you are going to do with the vehicle. The 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton chevy front axles being a 10 bolt or a Dana44 are very similar and weight / abuse ratings. Half tons will be 6 lug and 3/4 thru one tons will be 8 lug.

The one ton being a Dana 60 is the ultimate OEM equipped axle for full size rigs.

If youre ditching the ifs in your blazer, assuming its an early to mid 90s full size. You will need a ford axle. The out put on the front of your transfercase will be on the drivers side like all fords are. Chevy never offered that combination.

Comment

images fixed photbucket was giving me fits

Comment

As she sits now Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369332737.775190.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	24202860
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369332755.057764.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	24202861
                        Oh this is the pick up the front axle came out of.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369332777.465824.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	24202863

Comment

did you go with a 3/4 or 1 ton frame?

Subscribed to the thread!

I have a 89' gen 1 long bed single cab 4x4 with 220K on it still running strong.

I always wanted to swap a cummins into my 72' chevy.

Comment

It's a 3/4. Wished it was a one ton but I don't want to start all over now.
                            Last edited by cumminchevy; 05-23-2013, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Gonna be a beast for sure! And nice pumpkin covers!

Comment

Working...
                              X