"The Project"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Project"

I found this set of horns in 1995. As you can see they sat in the outdoors for a while. This was a heck of a buck he is a typical 10 with split G3's and is 15 1/2 inches inside.

My goal is to repair his chewed horns and then stain the horns back to a more natural color. Here are some before photos. As I continue with the project I will update with more photos to this thread. This will be my first attempt at repairing antlers. I am not a taxidermist nor do I have taxidermy training. I will be using the "Antler Repair Kit" from Van Dykes, as you can guess I will need more "Fix-it" than what came with the kit. Wish me luck I will start this on Saturday 12/19/2010.
    Attached Files

Please post the pictures of your progress. I am interested in seeing how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by ttu1997 View Post
      I will start this on Saturday 12/19/2010.
      Wow. A 368 day teaser. That's awesome.

I keed, I keed. I'm looking forward to following along with this. Good luck!

Comment

this will be an interesting follow along session

Comment

Yes lots of pics please.

Comment

Started the antler make over

Well I started my antler make over/repair. I started with the 2-2oz. containers of Fix-it sculpt. The sculpt goes a lot further than I expected I almost finished with the 4oz kit. The sculpt was very easy to apply and smooth and if it became a little too tacky I would just dip my hands in water. The water made the scuplt very easy to smooth and manipulate. I started the antler repair by rolling the sculpt into a long cord and wrapping it around the wire then I went back over it with damp hands and smoothed out the ridges.
            Attached Files

Comment

nice so far. good job

Comment

Looks good keep up the good work and pictures

Comment

Looks pretty good ! Keep the pictures coming.

Comment

looks good

Comment

I like the matching claw your putting on the passenger side g3, the completed tines look awesome. I got a couple racks that aren't damaged that could use some inches!

Comment

Thats pretty cool. Ive always wondered how they do that.

Comment

Pretty dang cool. Thanks.

Comment

What will you be using to stain the horns?

Comment

when u stain the sculpting stuff will it stain like the horns?
                              good job keep those pics coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X