No announcement yet.

Stolen gun recovered!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got one back once. DPS pulled over a CHL holder in a traffic stop. Had my gun as his carry weapon. He was relieved of it immediately. Claimed his father willed it to him and that his dad had bought it in a gun show parking lot. I got it back very easily paper work wise.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
      A couple things could play a part. If you had the serial number and reported it and it was entered into TCIC/NCIC. It could have been picked up in pawn shop, traffic stop, or warrant and ran.

It was not entered, it was used in a crime and ATF ran TRACE on it and found out it came back to you.

However, if it was used in a crime you usually have to wait until the case has been disposed of. if it was in a pawn shop, you can get it back pretty soon. If it was pawned let the reporting agency know where it was found so they can get the pawn information.

I did report them stolen . Got 3 of them my g29 g20 and a g23 . This is the 29

Comment

stolen gun

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
        Just had fedex show up some paperwork. Just got a certified package from the Us department of justice . The ATF branch . Seems my g29 had been recovered. Looks like I might be a pain to get it back . They sent me a notice of seizure of property and initiation of administrative forfeiture process forms .
        Has anyone here had to deal with this ? Any idea what all I need to do ? I’m guessing it was used in a crime or Pawned for the ATF to have my gun .
        Good luck. My brother and I both had ours stolen last year on the way to the deer lease.. We made a stop and someone was following us. What a shame! I hope you get it back.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
          A couple things could play a part. If you had the serial number and reported it and it was entered into TCIC/NCIC. It could have been picked up in pawn shop, traffic stop, or warrant and ran.

It was not entered, it was used in a crime and ATF ran TRACE on it and found out it came back to you.

However, if it was used in a crime you usually have to wait until the case has been disposed of. if it was in a pawn shop, you can get it back pretty soon. If it was pawned let the reporting agency know where it was found so they can get the pawn information.
          this is the most correct response on the thread. Some are just plain wrong

Comment

Is there a contact number on that paperwork you received?

Comment

Had this happen to me... received a call from Minnesota that they had my gun and if I wanted it back I had to fly up to get it, it was stolen here in Texas from our house with several others. Detective told me is was used in a crime there. IT was a makarov me and some buddies bought several at the time.. told the guy it wasn't worth a plane ticket to me and to destroy it.

Comment

initiation of administrative forfeiture process

These words make it sound like you’re giving them your gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by gpena View Post
                  initiation of administrative forfeiture process

These words make it sound like you’re giving them your gun.

Sounds more like they want to give it back, to me.

Comment

I would hope OP gets his firearm back

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                      Is there a contact number on that paperwork you received?

No phone number . Tried to do the form online last night and the link to the form didn’t work ...

Comment

Several years ago I had 4 pistols taken in a burglary. I got 2 of them back. One was recovered when a suspect was arrested on an unrelated charge and had it in possession, and one was used in a drive-by shooting and was recovered when the suspect was arrested.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                          No phone number . Tried to do the form online last night and the link to the form didn’t work ...
                          Do a google key word search with the name of the form and see if you can find a better link to click on, or find contact info to get a better link.

Comment

Had ATF come to my house asking me about an old mossberg 88 shot gun. Told them i sold it to the neighbor. Gave them his number. The gun was recovered on the way to Mexico with some other weapons. They gave him the paper work and offered to walk him thru the process, or he could file claim with his insurance. he did not even know it was gone. They broke into his storage rental and only took the gun and a bow then put everything back the way it was.

He took the offer value the insurance company was willing to pay. It was more than I bought the old 88 for in the first place.

Point is they were the easiest and friendliest Gov agency i have ever met or had to deal with. I would get my weapon back if i was you.

Comment

Any chance you could call your sheriff and ask him how to get it back?

Comment

I don't want to go back and read each pet, but, did insurance pay you for any of the stolen items? If so, they may have first shot at ownership.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X