AR rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR rules?

Do you think if it was lowered from 13” to 12” it would make a difference? What about using outside spread of main beams? Would less people complain?

Folks Will complain any way. We now have some old very tall...skinny heads here. AR was at 1 time to be a 5 year deal.

Comment

When the AR program was first rolled out as a trial there was verbage that said “or mature deer” The problem was when people check in bucks that did not meet the AR and they called them mature deer. Most were 2 year olds. So when they implemented the program they did away with this verbiage. I have had to pass up some old buck that did not meet the law. But I think it has helped a lot of young buck live another year. I understand both sides when I was young my instructions from my dad when hunting was if it’s legal shoot it.
      Last edited by T-roy66; 12-09-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I watched a small young buck a few weeks ago and have a question about measuring spread. This buck was for sure inside his ears between the main beams. Maybe 12”, But his G2’s angled out and were definitely outside his ears.

Legal or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
          I watched a small young buck a few weeks ago and have a question about measuring spread. This buck was for sure inside his ears between the main beams. Maybe 12”, But his G2’s angled out and were definitely outside his ears.

Legal or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Not, has to be between main beams.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
            When the AR program was first rolled out as a trial there was verbage that said “or mature deer” The problem was when people check in bucks that did not meet the AR and they called them mature deer. Most were 2 year olds. So when they implemented the program they did away with this verbiage. I have had to pass up some old buck that did not meet the law. But I think it has helped a lot of young buck live another year. I understand both sides when I was young my instructions from my dad when hunting was if it’s legal shoot it.
            Rule never said "or mature deer".

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
              Rule never said "or mature deer".
              The pilot program that preceded the implementation did. Mature deer judgement process was misused. So TPWD did away with the exception verbiage-

Comment

Originally posted by WBA2000 View Post
                Do you think if it was lowered from 13” to 12” it would make a difference? What about using outside spread of main beams? Would less people complain?
                13" was established because it would protect a large portion of 1-2 yr old deer, average 3 yr old deer, and less than 10% of mature deer. What made 13 "doable" was that 13 was the average ear-tip spread on bucks from coastal prairie and post oaks regions. So hunter didn't have to be able to spot 13" spread, merely determine if inside beam spread was to ear tips. Simple, easy to distinguish, and effective at protecting young bucks.

There's no regulation that will keep all groups content. Given the majority of hunters approve and the increase in buck age structure, thereby antler quality, best to just plan on having it the rest of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                  The pilot program that preceded the implementation did. Mature deer judgement process was misused. So TPWD did away with the exception verbiage-
                  No, sir. That's incorrect.

Comment

If you make a mistake, that's what hammers are for! Just saying!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
                      If you make a mistake, that's what hammers are for! Just saying!!!!!

Shot placement for questionable bucks! [emoji2958] For the record this is on a friends MLD ranch so he is legal if they want to shoot him.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                        13" was established because it would protect a large portion of 1-2 yr old deer, average 3 yr old deer, and less than 10% of mature deer. What made 13 "doable" was that 13 was the average ear-tip spread on bucks from coastal prairie and post oaks regions. So hunter didn't have to be able to spot 13" spread, merely determine if inside beam spread was to ear tips. Simple, easy to distinguish, and effective at protecting young bucks.

There's no regulation that will keep all groups content. Given the majority of hunters approve and the increase in buck age structure, thereby antler quality, best to just plan on having it the rest of your life.
                        True! Even a program that has a "4pt on a side rule", still protects a mature 6 pt. Missouri and Pennsylvania have this rule I believe. It definetly has helped the Penn bucks. Any program that allows them to get above 3yrs is gonna be a plus.

Im glad that Tx did this it has increased the amount of mature bucks. If you have a problem with mature narrow racked bucks, start a MLD program that isn't hand cuffed by the 13".

Comment

If people are unable to find a buck that is 13" in an AR county, they probably wouldn't see a buck at all if it wasn't for AR.

Comment

I wish the rule didn't apply to kids, but then the adults would have the kids tag their deer.

Comment

Back home in Tennessee only certain WMA's have antler restrictions. They are generally 3 or 4 points minimum on one side. Seeing how us hillbillies cannot measure through a scope or determine if antlers are outside of ears, they make it easy and we just have to count to 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X