Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a couple of freezes.

Comment

We had 3 consecutive nights below 30 last week. I think we will be getting more next week.

I also think next year I may just plant straight oats. Maybe. They did a pretty good job wiping out the oats and rye grass that was in the blend.

Comment

if going through the trouble to plant, why not plant peanuts, soy and other protein rich beans, corn,,, etc...?

Comment

Never could get the deer to eat them at our place in Burleson County.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
            We had 3 consecutive nights below 30 last week. I think we will be getting more next week.

I also think next year I may just plant straight oats. Maybe. They did a pretty good job wiping out the oats and rye grass that was in the blend.

I've had really good luck just planting wheat and oats and mixing a little clover in.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
              if going through the trouble to plant, why not plant peanuts, soy and other protein rich beans, corn,,, etc...?
              Turnips, radishes are planted in the fall for cover crops. The plants you mentioned will not survive in the cold of winter. Turnips are also packed with protein.

Turnips and Radishes do several things, provide a food source, bust up the soil hard pan, create compost for the spring, prevent soil erosion and put nutrients back in the soil.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                Turnips, radishes are planted in the fall for cover crops. The plants you mentioned will not survive in the cold of winter. Turnips are also packed with protein.

Turnips and Radishes do several things, provide a food source, bust up the soil hard pan, create compost for the spring, prevent soil erosion and put nutrients back in the soil.
                I’v waterfowl hunted up north, Missouri/Iowa in December/January and the fields we hunted in had beans/soy still on plants. Yes the plants were dead, but still there for the animals to eat. I see what you’re saying though...

Comment

Little bit of green leafy goodness at our house! Me and the deer are eating good.

The bucks are really hitting them hard.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Got another hard freeze this morning. Yes I'm getting pictures of some does.

So... how do I know when I can pick some turnips and which ones to cook in my house? Might as well, right?

Comment

My deer wouldn't touch them even after 2-3 freezes. I will never plant them again

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                        Got another hard freeze this morning. Yes I'm getting pictures of some does.

So... how do I know when I can pick some turnips and which ones to cook in my house? Might as well, right?
                        I prefer to pull them around tennis ball/baseball size. You want firm ones, they get soft after the ground starts freezing.

Peel and cube them and boil with a little bacon grease, little salt, little sugar. One of my favorite fall treats!

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          My deer wouldn't touch them even after 2-3 freezes. I will never plant them again
                          I’m surprised that they didn’t browse the greens some, but honestly it probably doesn’t get cold enough down there to freeze the ground and soften/sweeten the turnips themselves.

They’re just now starting to eat some of the turnips, here. In December when we get into the low 20s/teens at night more consistently, they’ll really hit them. Getting down to 30 for a few hours isn’t going to freeze the ground.

Comment

Mine never came up
                            But my clover is doing swell

Comment

Mine are coming up in the plot nicely, but we planted late due to all the rain delays. Never had an issue with my deer eating them, but it is always afer a freeze or two when everything else is dead or bitter tasting.

Comment

Once they get a good hard freeze the sugars start breaking down and the deer will start eating them.

Comment

Working...
                                X