My Custom Bow Blind (picture heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Custom Bow Blind (picture heavy)

Well this has been an on-going project in the evenings after work for a couple weeks now. I have never started and finished a lumber project on my own, it has always been something I did with my dad. He was the brain and I was the strong back. Well I decided I wanted to see what I had learned over the years. I have consistantly amazed myself with the planning of the project and the nice measurments and cuts. I guess I have learned more from my dad then I thought.

This blind is on top of a medal base which will be elevated about 6 feet. The medal base is 4x4 and has a 2x4 porch with rails. I picked the medal base up for $50 on craigslist which sparked the Bow blind Build.

I started by deciding the shape and size. I knew the 4x4 wasnt going to cut it so I laid my plywood down on the base and sat a chair in the middle and had my wife make marks at the widest points while I held my bow up.

This is how I came up with the 5 foot 6 inch width. The blind is also 5 foot 6 long, but the front is octogon shaped instead of square which is going to give me 3 12x24 vertical smoke DeerView windows which I have already prrchased. I will also have 2 more of the 12x24 vertical windows on the left and right wall. Then one 12x10 horizontal on the rear wall which will most likely be covered up at all times to keep the stand dark.

The blind will be painted black on the inside and green, tan and black digital on the exterior.

I have lots left to do, but I wanted to share the current status and I will update as I go.

After work today I will be cutting the remaining holes for windows and making my overhangs to keep rain and sunlight out of the window.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TravisMears.com; 05-30-2012, 08:01 AM.

Oh, and before anybody calls me out on this. I have built the blind in pieces so that I can break it down to travel with. All pieces will be bolted together instead of screwed and each piece is light enough for 1 guy to handle.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisMears.net View Post
      Oh, and before anybody calls me out on this. I have built the blind in pieces so that I can break it down to travel with. All pieces will be bolted together instead of screwed and each piece is light enough for 1 guy to handle.
      Looks real good to me

Comment

Great work!

Comment

Thanks guys. It has been fun, but I have to finish it soon so I can get it out of the garage. I have about 1.5 weeks till my wifes truck is fixed from the last hail storm and then It has got to be taken down and ready to go to the lease. haha. The clock is ticking till all hail breaks loose. haha

Comment

Looks good bro

Comment

Originally posted by texanhoyt View Post
              Looks good bro
              Thanks haus, I cant wait to sling a arrow out of it.

Comment

Looking great travis

Comment

Nice
                  I'll take one

Comment

Thumbs up T-bone

How much you got in it?

Comment

Originally posted by deercrazy View Post
                      Nice
                      I'll take one
                      Thanks, I think I would make them just for the hell of it if I had a shop or larger work area. This dang garage is a pain in the arse. haha.

Comment

Cost

Originally posted by LastHurrah View Post
                        Thumbs up T-bone

How much you got in it?
                        Well I have saved the reciepts but not looked at them much yet. I just put a pencil to them and it looks like I should stay away from Home Depot, haha.

I have right at $200 in lumber and $150 in other things such as knobs, hinges, screws, blades, paint and bolts/nuts/washers. The bolts, nuts and washers added up quickly, but I wanted to have the ability to throw it up the same way every time with pre drilled holes.

I also have about $150 in DeerView Windows which are going to be awesome once I get them put in.

I also got the medal base off of craigslist for $50 which was a steal. Its a beast.

Total cost $550.

I know I could have done it cheaper, but I didnt want to cut any corners. I wanted to be proud of my first lumber project. It has also give me some confidence to start building some other crap instead of just buying it.

Comment

Had some time last night to work so I started doing all the measuring for my DeerView Windows. I cut all 5 of my remaining holes for the 12x24 windows. I cut my holes 11x23 which leaves a 1/2 inch overlap on all sides. I was going to start cutting shelves and window overhangs, but my garage was such a disaster I had to stop and clean up, which burned up the rest of the evening. See pictures of progress.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Lookin good

Comment

Good job!

Comment

Working...
                              X