No announcement yet.

Turnips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This my best plot so far, the army worms never got too it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pulled about a dozen and put under the feeder. One week later, still there!

Comment

Had minimal luck with them as deer forage.They grow and produce well..My dog loves the ..will dig and Eat like CANDY

Comment

Originally posted by GLM View Post
          They eat the tops early but it was takes a few freezes after the bulb matures to make it sweet. They eat them at my place every year.
          This^^^^

Comment

Wait til those things rot in the spring. They will smell great!!

Comment

This pic was in late October. It’s in the one plot that shows heavy usage of turnips. All other plots are eat down other than turnips
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                This pic was in late October. It’s in the one plot that shows heavy usage of turnips. All other plots are eat down other than turnips
                Did the Army worms get y'all real bad? They got me and I had to reseed about three acres.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                  Did the Army worms get y'all real bad? They got me and I had to reseed about three acres.
                  I sprayed worms 7 times this year. I don’t plant until late September- early October for that reason.

Comment

I planted in middle October and this is first year for army worms. They were in our hay fields which join our food plots. Thank God they didn't get in our plots. We sprayed them twice in our hay

We have so much food around our deer rarely ever eat any of our food plots down. We see some in them but you can't tell them have been eating them.

This is good though as it means more food for the deer naturally.

Comment

My deer are eating the tops but not even the pigs are eating the actual turnips. That surprised me.

Comment

A good freeze makes many greens sweeter

Comment

Been a few weeks since I’ve checked plots at dairy. The wheat and oats are literally less than 1/2” y’all. All snipped off. Turnips are actually being used very lightly (leaf wise). Several are pulled up but none are eaten that I can tell (don’t blame them)

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            Part of my food plot this year included turnips. The turnips look great!

The deer don't seem to be eating them though. I thought I read on here that it takes a freeze to make them palatable. We had a freeze last week.

What is it going to take to get them to eat the turnips? I mean, I personally don't like turnips, but I've heard deer do.

Should I disc it and if so when?
                            DB, there is a Brassica called Rape, that is not bitter when it is green, it is a bulbless Brassica, deer love it and it doesn't require a freeze to taste better. As long as the deer doesn't pull it out of the ground it will generate new growth. Rape is in a lot of food plot blends.

Comment

Deer and Hogs still not eating our Turnips.

Comment

Southern Oklahoma.... I've only been planting plots for two years, but both this year and last has been the same thing. Early in the season, deer were primarily on the Rye/Clover plots. A couple weeks after the first hard frost they've switched to the wheat/turnip/radish plots and are absolutely hammering the turnips. I was hunting my main plot last week and watched most of the deer eat the greens, pull the bulbs, and eat the entire bulb... pretty funny to watch actually.

Comment

Working...
                                X