• Show
Clear All

Trail Cam Pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	10220077 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	24562814
    This is a picture of the best yearling buck we have ever seen.

Name:	10230512 (Medium).jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	24562815

Name:	10230528 (Medium).jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	24562816
    Here are two pictures of the 12pt

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
      [ATTACH]935623[/ATTACH]

This is a picture of the best yearling buck we have ever seen.

[ATTACH]935624[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]935625[/ATTACH]

Here are two pictures of the 12pt

Great looking deer

Comment

Awesome looking buck! How’s the “Hammer” system working for you? Just curious if you have any different thoughts since your original review

Comment

I love the Hammer system. It's helped control the amount of feed and when to feed during deer season. It has helped us save a little $ on feed. I like knowing that the deer cannot go eat protein anytime they want during the hunting season and if they want some they have to go during daylight hours. Before, we had a protein feeder without a timer and we would get so many night time pictures throughout the season. Our night time pictures have gone way down and we are actually seeing mature bucks during the daylight hours, at least on our cameras.

Comment

that 12pt is a great buck. I hope you get him.
            What river is that - beautiful.

Comment

Thanks! That’s the San saba river, which is the southern border of our place. I wish the water was always this high.

Comment

I love the Hammer system. It's helped control the amount of feed and when to feed during deer season. It has helped us save a little $ on feed. I like knowing that the deer cannot go eat protein anytime they want during the hunting season and if they want some they have to go during daylight hours. Before, we had a protein feeder without a timer and we would get so many night time pictures throughout the season. Our night time pictures have gone way down and we are actually seeing mature bucks during the daylight hours, at least on our cameras.
                Thanks for the review! I appreciate it!

Comment

pLOTS looked a lot better in the first pics when they came up. Least they are eating them. My 3 plots are so tall

That 12 is HUGE and easily over 150. Do you have him at 4.5 or 5.5?

Comment

The plots are definitely not as thick and tall as i thought they would be but I think that's probably due to the grazing and the lack of rainfall since mid October. I can't tell if we should have increased the amount of seed we broadcasted per acre to help prevent the gaps but I think we seeded fairly heavily from what I've read (150lbs/acre total - 75lbs wheat/acre & 75lbs oats/acre). Any tips on improving our food plots are always much appreciated as we are amateurs. How tall are your plots now?

We have the 12pt at 5.5yrs and came to the conclusion that we will make the final decision once we see him in person. He's definitely a pretty buck and hope that he is doing his part during the rut.

Comment

This has been my same experience with the "Hammer" Timed Feeding System. I run one on my Protein Feeder, and also one on my Rice Bran Pellet Feeder. See alot more Mature Bucks during Shooting light hours.

Comment

Looks like a lot of rain is forecasted for Thursday thru Friday evening. We will be going out there and hunting from Thursday thru Sunday. I was curious if we should go ahead and broadcast another 100lbs of fertilizer per acre since we know there is rain heading our way this weekend. I know that oats and wheat require a lot of nitrogen and they recommend top dressing the plots in late December/early January but since they are estimating 1.5 to 2in this weekend I thought it might be a good idea to throw some on Wednesday afternoon. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Comment

It may not be a bad time to do so, just remember, small grains don’t grow much in the winter. Short day lengths and cool soil temps prevent a lot of growth. Come February/March it’ll be growing like crazy.

Comment

Havent looked at this thread since you started it. Kinda shows what happens when bucks are allowed to mature.

Comment

Man, What an awesome thread!! Congrats on your journey and what you've accomplished so far.

Comment

12/10/18 Update

It was a very wet and sloppy weekend out there...we got a little over 2-inches of rain. The deer weren't moving very well until Saturday evening after the rain was over but we were still able to shoot two does and a cull buck. My dad saw the big 12pt at the house feeder on Saturday evening so I sat in a tripod over looking our south field, which is around 300 yards away from the house. I saw a big bodied buck at 50 yards away real early but couldn't tell what it was. After there was enough light I saw that it was the big 12pt but he was already at 300 yards away and chasing a doe. I tried everything to get him to come back out but he wasn't leaving that doe. There's always next time. I also saw the 4.5yr old typical 12pt and he is an absolute stud. We are hoping he can make it another two years. The two does dressed out at 83lbs & 82lbs. Here are some pictures from the weekend:

Name:	IMG_1274 (Medium).jpg
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	24563587

Name:	IMG_1276 (Medium).jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	24563588

Name:	IMG_1298 (Medium).jpg