Wild cat in Texas thought to have been extinct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earlier this year I’d been told about sightings of a wild cat that has puzzled people. A lady finally got a photo of one last year but I’ve yet to see it. Some say it was long ago thought to be extinct. Recently I got an up close look at one. My description is rather vague because it ran fast across the rural road in front of us. The cat has long hair with a tail approximately two feet in length. Definitely smaller in height and length than a mature mountain lion. But larger than a bobcat. I don’t know the exact color of the hair. The one in the photo is said to be black. The cat I saw was dark and the head was quite large.

Does this sound like a lynx? I didn’t get a good look at the ears. There’s so much brush to hide in and lots of wildlife for these cats to feed on. Quite a few mountain lion sightings and tracks found in the same area. It’s easy to see why this type of cat could survive here and populate. Thankful to get to see one in its natural habitat. The sighting was close to the Red River.

Has anyone else seen something similar?
    Last edited by MontagueMech; 04-29-2022, 08:57 AM.

I saw an alleygoanus once but no pics.

Comment

I’ll get a photo if the opportunity presents itself. This cat didn’t waste any time crossing the road and disappearing into thick brush.

Comment

I'm skeptical. 8million trail cams in texas and only one unseen pic.????

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          I'm skeptical. 8million trail cams in texas and only one unseen pic.????
          Only 50 of them work though !!!

Comment

Are you talking about a jaguarundi?

Comment

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
              Are you talking about a jaguarundi?

If so he got the size wrong. A big jaguarundi is smaller than an average bobcat. I would bet juvenile mountain lion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not a lynx. Sounds like a juvenile mt lion as stated. Lynx have a tail the same length as a bobcat more or less.
                I have personally seen a mt lion in Cooke CO along the Red.

I also have a BIL that has seen a black panther in the same area many many years ago, yes an infamous black panther in North Texas.

Comment

I saw a cat in north Wise county several years ago. It had dark gray hair and a long tail. Coat was thick. Slightly larger than a bobcat and smaller than a mountain lion. I've never been able to figure out what the heck it was.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                    Not a lynx. Sounds like a juvenile mt lion as stated. Lynx have a tail the same length as a bobcat more or less.
                    I have personally seen a mt lion in Cooke CO along the Red.

I also have a BIL that has seen a black panther in the same area many many years ago, yes an infamous black panther in North Texas.
                    He THOUGHT he saw one...

Comment

The lynx isnt extinct and has never ranged in texas. If anything, it was a large feral cat or a small mtn. lion. My bet is a large feral. Many people struggle with judging the true size of these mystery cats.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                        He THOUGHT he saw one...
                        LMAO! Facts

Comment

The lynx isnt extinct and has never ranged in texas. If anything, it was a large feral cat or a small mtn. lion. My bet is a large feral. Many people struggle with judging the true size of these mystery cats.

This.

Comment

Definitely in for pics when you get some.

Comment

He THOUGHT he saw one...
                              I believe him, I know for a fact you were not there.

Comment

Working...
                              X