20 in vs 26 inch barrel 308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 in vs 26 inch barrel 308

How much more velocity will a 26 in barrel give over a 20 in barrel for a 308 round? Will it make that much difference for a 600 to 1000 yard shot?

Expect between 30-50 fps per inch based on load.

600 probably not, 1000 it might if you can't keep the round supersonic.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by howabouttheiris; 02-15-2022, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I'm getting 2600 fps with 175gr smk's out of my 20" barrel.

Comment

Averaging 2500 with 180 SST in 16”

Comment

With barrels, one wonders Can a little more length provide a meaningful velocity gain? To answer that question, Rifleshooter.com performed an interesting test, cuttin...

Comment

I’d be very surprised if the 26” was more than 200fps faster

Idk what you’re planning on doing with the rifle, but I’d gladly take the slight velocity reduction for the shorter barrel.
            Last edited by TacticalCowboy; 02-15-2022, 09:58 PM.

Comment

22” is usually a full powder burn with most loads. 308 sucks at distance regardless. But 20-22” should do just fine.

Comment

Good article and good forum

Comment

shot long range with a 20" 308 for a while, it was pretty iffy past about 850. Somedays it would group at 1000 other days it just wouldn't stabilize.

There are really much more forgiving rounds for those distances.

Comment

I would bet on a couple hundred fps.
                    At some yardage and conditions it will make a difference, and my guess is that point will be somewhere between 600 & 1,000 yards... probably closer to the 1,000-yard mark.

Comment

When the powder is all burned, the extra barrel length will just slow the bullet. Think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        When the powder is all burned, the extra barrel length will just slow the bullet. Think about it.
                        Yep. Longer barrels are not always better. It's completely caliber dependent.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          22” is usually a full powder burn with most loads. 308 sucks at distance regardless. But 20-22” should do just fine.
                          I have a Remington 600 18inch .308 , it’s definitely not a long distance rifle, but is great for hunting >300 meters
                          My rem 788 22inch is better @ long range by a wide margin

Comment

If you are shooting 1000yds then you are bench shooting I’d guess. Who cares about barrel length for maneuverability. In my experience a 16” 308 with a can is great for hunting.

Comment

I am thinking seriously about f class f-t/r so 308 of 223
                              Last edited by Stan R; 02-16-2022, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X