2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
    I put some pens up for the first time ever just two weeks ago. I've always been hesitant because I felt like they wouldn't use them, but per my cameras they were in there the afternoon I put them up. And no stinkin' azz hogs so far either.

I did leave one feeder unpenned so the swine would (hopefully) use it and leave my primary stand alone.

I'm not going to go this weekend or next, but the weather starting the 17th looks tempting so I may have to work remotely for a couple of days.
    Last year I did the the feeder pen at my lease on my gravity feeder and ladder stand setup. One of the best things I ever did to get a chance at quality deer.

I have another feeder with spinner within sight when sitting in the ladder stand. About 150 yards away and I have had hogs there and deer in the pen at the same time.

It has got to the point where the hogs dont even bother going to the pen to sniff around.

J

Comment

How big are y'all making your feeder pens? I have thought about trying to put a feeder back up but won't do it unless I build a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by NewBallCoach View Post
        How big are y'all making your feeder pens? I have thought about trying to put a feeder back up but won't do it unless I build a pen.
        I bought 12 panels and only used 10. I have heard other guys use less.

Seen a thread where some guys said their deer liked smaller pens and other say theirs liked the bigger ones.

J

Comment

One of mine is 9 panels, and the other is 7 (the one with 7 was in a tighter space so that was the most I could fit).

On the 7-panel pen I used hog panels, and on the 9-panel pen I used cattle panels that I cut in half. They're obviously a little shorter that way, but generally tall enough to discourage pigs.

Comment

Ones with Protein and Spinner are 5 panels cut in half to make 10. My others are 4 panels cut in half to make 8 but I just pour corn on the ground in those. I am going to add to the 8 panels next year though to make them 10.

Comment

Thank y'all

Comment

2021-22 east texas season

My largest is a circle of (12) 16’ panels and the rest are 32x32 (8) panel pens. The split cattle panel work to save money but the little pigs can get through the large holes and I’ve had a few jumpers get over the top even with a strand of barb wire at 30”.

The 32x32 square is by far the easiest to put up and I never get pigs in them. I run a corn slinger in the middle and a protein feeder off to the side of it. 3-4 bucks in them at one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is my 1st 32x32 I put out 3 years ago and it has deer in it everyday.

Last edited by Hix; 10-08-2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

good luck to all you fellas....i am still waiting on shooters to show up on my spots. i generally dont see the good ones until thanksgiving or so.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                    good luck to all you fellas....i am still waiting on shooters to show up on my spots. i generally dont see the good ones until thanksgiving or so.
                    Same here. We got at least 10 cameras on the place and not one has seen a 13" this year so far. But we got 4 spikes...so it may be a meat hunt year.

Comment

Man I know you got one tied up there in the bushes somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                        Man I know you got one tied up there in the bushes somewhere

I wish, when I say slow I mean slow. Still haven't seen an antler at 1 spot and my best spot I just had a spine and a 4pt show up this week.

We have some bucks on cam in Hunt County but nothing mature.

Gonna shoot you a PM with pics of a shed I found... Clean out some PMs!
                        Last edited by jshouse; 10-09-2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I had a good amount of activity this morning. Had my shooter at 35yds at 6:45am while still too dark to shoot. He came back through at 8:15am but never got closer than 60yds. I had 6 does in front of me from 6:50am-8:10am, two more unknowns pass through about the same time though the timber about 50yds out, and a young 8pt pass through at 20yds at 10:15am. My brother-n-law had zero activity about 800yds away. If the does come back this evening, there is a big mature one that's getting a hole poked in her.
                          Last edited by Pineywoods; 10-09-2021, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                            I had a good amount of activity this morning. Had my shooter at 35yds at 6:45am while still too dark to shoot. He came cack through at 8:15am but never got closer than 60yds. I had 6 does in front of me from 6:50am-8:10am, two more unknowns pass through about the same time though the timber about 50yds out, and a young 8pt pass through at 20yds at 10:15am. My brother-n-law had zero activity about 800yds away. If the does come back this evening, there is a big mature one that's getting a hole poked in her.
                            It sounds like your persistence will pay off very soon Josh. If you’ve seen the long range forecast that buck might be out of there in another 9 or 10 days when it cools down and really kicks things off. A hot doe might take him a mile away. Good luck my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                              It sounds like your persistence will pay off very soon Josh. If you’ve seen the long range forecast that buck might be out of there in another 9 or 10 days when it cools down and really kicks things off. A hot doe might take him a mile away. Good luck my friend.
                              Thanks... I hope so Terry. I'm calling him 9 lives because I've seen him 4 times in 8 hunts and he just won't give me a shot.

Comment

I wish, when I say slow I mean slow. Still haven't seen an antler at 1 spot and my best spot I just had a spine and a 4pt show up this week.

We have some bucks on cam in Hunt County but nothing mature.

Gonna shoot you a PM with pics of a shed I found... Clean out some PMs!

Lol just did a cleanse! I don’t have anything I’m after either

Comment

Working...
                                X