Bathroom Remodel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathroom Remodel...

Have some questions. I asked a guy to give us a quote on converting our tub into a shower, and then taking our shower and turning it into an open closet.

He hasn't responded, so I may just due this myself.

He mentioned I had to move the drain into the center... Is this absolutely necessary? He said it was "to do it right."

Also, "to do it right," the shower pipe is bigger than the pipe to the tub. Anyone know what I'd have to do to make this conversion? Is that absolutely necessary as well?

Tiling and everything else I'll just have to watch youtube videos and figure it out.

Thanks is advance for any and all help and advice.

For proper drainage, the drain needs to be in the middle and the shower floor needs to slope from the sides to the drain. You will have to cut the slab the move the drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yes to the center drain but bigger? That I dont know.

Comment

I wish it was easy but it is not. I have remodeled my entire house. I’ve done a lot myself. Would never treat building a shower pan myself. I always had someone build pan and I went from there

Comment

We just had this done at our house, the drain doesn’t have to be directly in the center but more to where most of the water will fall and run to. The drain pipe isn’t bigger but the drain itself is bigger than a tub drain insert. There has to be a slope from all side to the drain.

Depending on the type of flooring it may need more slope. We used subway tile and ground flat river rock for the floor. Vinyl shower pan, then Portland cement will help to get the slope made up.

If you do it yourself, buy and use triton board instead of hardy board as it’s easier to work with. Red guard everything, twice. Meaning build the shower out, fabric tape the corners and where the boards connect, Red guard all of that, then red guard everything again. Then thin set and tile it. We helped with the demo and bought all materials but my buddy did ours as I didn’t have time and he’s ****ed good at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by KDinTX; 05-24-2020, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Wish you were closer I’d give you a bid. We just finished two exactly alike at a Boy Scout Camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Sorry for any confusion... it's not the drain pipe that needs to be bigger, but the pipe going to the shower head. Also, I'd need to turn the spout 180*...

Edit... Willing to look at bids for anyone in DFW area.

Comment

following.... the wife and I are considering this same exact scenario soon for our master

Comment

I've seen a bunch where the drain was in the exact center, but usually in the center line just more towards the head or rear of shower. Either way, just have to make sure the slope is towards the drain from all angles. the pan is by far the most important/difficult part, tiling and all is easy. Depending on where you live, there may be some specific codes you have to stay in.

Comment

We are in the process of tweaking our last bid for a redo.
                    So far 3 bids are between $10-13K for what we are wanting- including redoing the sinks counter top and repainting the cabinets.
                    It was going to be $7600 to redo what what we already had, so might as well pony up and get her what she wants.

We are gonna have the original whirlpool tub and shower stall removed and redone with a walk in in the center of a new wall with the shower area on the left and a sitting area with faucets and hose for leg shaving (yes for her) and dog washing on the right.

So in our instance there will be two drains with a slope in the center I guess.

Can't wait for this calamity to begin.

Comment

You need 1/4” per foot slope. If using that “rock” I go more as it’s known for poor drainage. If you don’t center (and you should... and his names on it) to get CORRECT slope you can end up with a bicycle ramp in the back

Other option is a “French drain” where pan is a flat slope and drain goes full length of low end wall.... but if you don’t like the price of moving a drain you ain’t gonna like that. lol

Busting slab “usually “ ain’t terrible. Drain is a 3 piece shower drain. DONT USE THOSE GLUE ON 1 PIECES!!!!

Comment

You do not need to move the drain, it is fine where it is. You can also buy a pre made shower pan (floor & decor) that will hook up directly to the drain. I think they are called Tile Redi. Pull the tub set the pan in place. Easiest, quickest way to do it. Otherwise, hire a good tile man to build your pan. That is the most critical part of the project. With the invention of PEX type tubing and clamps, the supply side is simple.
                        Last edited by C.W.Ashby; 05-25-2020, 09:05 AM.

Comment

TTT... I don't have time to do this myself so if there is any TBH'er that does bathroom remodeling we would like to get a quote. PM me!

Comment

Not to hi-jack a thread, but where were all of these nice bathrooms when i was at scout camp, lol. Some really nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by Howdy View Post
                              Not to hi-jack a thread, but where were all of these nice bathrooms when i was at scout camp, lol. Some really nice work.
                              Thats funny hahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X