Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 Days and Counting...Let's Talk Tracking and Tracking Tools!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 Days and Counting...Let's Talk Tracking and Tracking Tools!

We in the archery world know that a successful bow hunt also comes with a successful job of tracking. Sure there are those few instances where our target animal expires within sight but it's rare and should be celebrated. So, let's talk about the other 95 percent of the time where our animal runs and we are left only with a trail of blood to follow. I'm no expert in tracking but I will say I've had my share of trails to follow and consider myself pretty dang good at it. But I'm good at it only because of experience and some tools I've learned to use at night that were suggested to me by other bow hunters. So, let's try to help other bow hunters here by listing the tools you've learned to use for a successful track, day or night.

(Let's leave the obvious suggestion of "Dogs" out of it as my goal for a successful track is to not have to call for a dog, but certainly wouldn't hesitate to do so.)

Tool #1 - a good headlamp and it doesn't get any better(imo) than the 40KAP from Sniper Hog Lights(thanks Rob and Joe at Sniper) I've tracked side by side with folks using what they'd call "a light" and they usually just give up their search and follow along. A good head lamp is as important as the bow in your hand. Why are you gonna spend $20 to find your trophy bow kill?? Seriously??
    Call or order from the Sniper guys.

I'll leave a story at the bottom of this post to tell y'all how I seriously believe the headlamp kept me from being in quite a predicament lately.

Tool #2 - Glow sticks. These things are the bomb. (Thanks big brother Cull). I like to use them to hang on my starting point or feeder. I'm usually hog hunting at night. The chance to use these has been frequent this year. I will also hang them along the trail for last blood or simply to find my way. Let's be honest, we all can become turned around occasionally. (A few of my spots get zero cell service for phone use) I do prefer the battery powered sticks but only because that's all I've tried. Go to WalMart or order off the www. These things are pure greatness.

Now, let's hear yalls suggestions. I'm eager to learn more about tracking and especially at night.

Here's that story I promised. I thank God my hands were free to deal with Lumpy and yes, I'm looking for a bigger pistol.

Lumpy (250ish lb boar)got shot and here's how it ended...

I hit him straight in the leg. Trailed him 150 yards to a creek bottom in the dark. I Could tell I was getting close by the pools of blood where he'd laid down. Close enough I drew my pistol and began to follow. I'm creeping and look up at about 3 yards and he's there sitting on his rear end like a dog. I pulled the hammer back on the pistol and he heard it. That's when all hell broke loose. He was on me in no time at all. But not til I'd fired 5 rounds at him. By then, he was at my feet and I was literally pushing on his back to get away. As he passed by, I put my last two bullets in his side from pin point range. After all that, he just kept trucking down thru the creek bottom

At that point I was somewhat panicked at what had happened but glad to still be upright. I had no more bullets. I had a tank of a pig that had either just charged me or just wanted to leave the way he came. I decided to retreat and come back the next day.

The following day, all I found of Lumpy was where he'd crossed a fence about 300 yards from where we'd had our little encounter. All the respect to Lumpy. Guess you could say he won the battle but probably lost the war. I don't see any way he could survive but...stranger things.

Depending on the lighted nock you use (I use both Nocturnals and Luminocks), I use the arrows in my quiver as markers in thick brush when tracking by lighting the nock and sticking the arrow in the ground or hanging it on a tree limb to help mark a blood trail over a distance (including the bloody arrow). Also makes getting out of some places much easier in really thick stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      Depending on the lighted nock you use (I use both Nocturnals and Luminocks), I use the arrows in my quiver as markers in thick brush when tracking by lighting the nock and sticking the arrow in the ground or hanging it on a tree limb to help mark a blood trail over a distance (including the bloody arrow). Also makes getting out of some places much easier in really thick stuff.
      Great idea.

Comment

I use flags to mark blood. They are cheap, easy to put out and pick up.
        Attached Files

Comment

I carry a roll of flagging tape, reuse old pieces I have retrieved, and always mark last blood. It really helps in the thick stuff, in case of restarting track in the morning.

Comment

Biodegradable TP to mark blood. Good rope with a piece of water hose to drag out. A come along in truck to lift critter up and back truck under if needed.

Comment

A couple of teen boys. Seems they can spot blood these old tired eyes can't see. Then they can drag it out for you.

Comment

I use the 40 KAP headlamp as well. I can see blood better with it at night than I can during the day.

I too use my other arrows in the quiver with lighted nocks to mark blood if it starts to get spotty on me. I've tracked over 70 pigs this summer and have found the majority of them. At night.

I like the glow stick idea for sure. I'll be getting a few of those.

Great thread man. Hope to pick up a few ideas from it!

Skinny

Comment

I know it's obvious, but if you arent confident with the shot, give it time.
                  Even if you know it's a dead deer standing, wait.
                  I made a great shot in a buck last year in Missouri. Super confident he was down in 50 yards.
                  I could see what had to be a quart of blood from my stand. Got overly confident and went to recover my buck after only a few minutes. My downfall, I've made this shot plenty of times and they were all dead almost within sight so I was sure he'd be dead where I heard him crash.
                  Bumped him and had to trail him for several hundred yards.
                  Another 10 minutes would've saved me an hour of tracking and a long *** drag out of the thickest crap I care to ever go through again.

Comment

I like the glow stick idea as well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post

I like the glow stick idea as well..

There's always...that guy!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                        There's always...that guy!!

She’s my best tracking tool...[emoji6]

Comment

Great thread. Where we are hunting there are no dogs allowed so great ideas here. Love the glow sticks and will be picking some up.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                            I use the 40 KAP headlamp as well. I can see blood better with it at night than I can during the day.

I too use my other arrows in the quiver with lighted nocks to mark blood if it starts to get spotty on me. I've tracked over 70 pigs this summer and have found the majority of them. At night.

I like the glow stick idea for sure. I'll be getting a few of those.

Great thread man. Hope to pick up a few ideas from it!

Skinny
                            Whats the best color? Thinking red ?

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
                              Whats the best color? Thinking red ?

I've been a big fan of green lighted nocks over the years. I'll use red at times, but green seems quite a bit brighter.

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                              X