Custom home builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
    Understood. Wife saw this one on Facebook, by Metal Buildings of Texas. 2756sqft, probably a bit nicer inside than we would go, but they responded in the remarks that this one was $127k for the building, delivered and erected, then $90-100sqft to finish out the inside....so roughly $400k total. Seemed low to me but if true, that's doable for us.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
    If they can finish it out to that quality for $100 ft then I'd sign up tmw!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
      All my acquaintances rib me because it has taken me around 3 years to build my retirement home...
      I feel your pain.

I get my balls busted all the time.

I'm on year 8 or so on my house. Laying tile now.

Should be done in 3 or 4 months.

I just hope I didn't take too long. I need to sell the current house before the market collapses.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
        Good looking build.

Someone told me the main advantage of going barndo over a stick built house is taxation. The guy said property taxes are accessed differently and are way lower for barndo. Is that correct?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
        I am not sure about that. Our taxes here in rural Iowa are much less than what we were paying in Arlington, Texas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I am no finance guy, but I have appraised a few homes and those of you wanting to build might consider waiting awhile.

This housing boom today is a direct result from the crash of 2008.
          New/spec homes production came to a stand still for close to two years.
          Builders fears & banks not loaning out any home loans too.

This influx of east & west coast new $$$$$$$$$$$$$ is making it worse.

A big real estate reset isn't far away & its bound to happen again if your paying attention.

Why not wait?

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post

Why not wait?

Interest rates.

Fed just increased another 50 basis pts. Will see at least 4-5 more increases this year. Rates are 5.5% they were 2.9% six months ago (An increase of $400 in interest per month on a $400,000 mortgage)

My guess is rates will be 8% or higher by the time they stop.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
              Interest rates.

Fed just increased another 50 basis pts. Will see at least 4-5 more increases this year. Rates are 5.5% they were 2.9% six months ago (An increase of $400 in interest per month on a $400,000 mortgage)

My guess is rates will be 8% or higher by the time they stop.

this is not good.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                this is not good.
                Where we are today is not good. Rates are a double edged sword. People should live within their means and maybe builders will actually be able to catch up on supply if things slow down. It sucks home shopping right now! I agree 8% is too high. Hopefully mortgages top out at 6 to 6.5.

Here is a chart that scares me a bit. https://www.longtermtrends.net/home-...-income-ratio/

Comment

7sdad got the deal of the century. Not sure how they got that built at that price.

Comment

how are things looking these days? prices for lumber, metal, etc moving any?

Comment

$200+ for custom all day

Comment

175-200/sq ft for a custom build in my area

Comment

I will be breaking ground Sept 28th on my retirement home in Harper. 2000sqft. 3/2. Have a signed contract for a custom home(my wife designed it), for $335,000. I already own the land, 6.5acs.
                          Appliances, fixtures, well and septic not included.
                          Building loan at 4.25%. That puts me in the $165sqft range.

Comment

Assume everyone is counting covered sf? I.e. garage?

Comment

Any Builders in the Brady area, would you all send me their info? Both good and bad.

Comment

With lumber futures falling about 20% will building prices drop any? We are interviewing and looking for a builder and plan to start sometime soon. If we need to wait a little while that wouldn’t hurt my feelings either

Comment

Working...
                                X