X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update needed!

ac

Comment

Scratching my head on the UIL ruling for the Sherman/Gunter kid....Has to be more to the story than what has been reported so for. UIL would have to know that with a ruling like this, they are opening a pandoras box of appeals and complaints on prior rulings.....

Now what would stop schools in a district were a school hires multiple new coaches that brings sons/daughters that are above average athletes with them, turning a loosing program into a district contender over night, file grievances/appeals stating the Gunter/Sherman ruling as a precedence already set?????? Screams "Arbitrary and Capricious" to me..........

Rwc

Comment

Lorena got their rings last night!
        Attached Files

Comment

awsome

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
            Do you have any details on this? Seems ridiculous...

from what i can gather on twitter, the kid was qb at sherman last year and his dad was a coach there. dad took a job in gunter and when the kid tried to transfer, his old OC filled out the UIL necessary transfer paperwork that included some type of flag to the UIL. former OC was interviewed and UIL decided not to grant the transfer. however they did grant the transfer and varsity eligibility to his younger brother, who is a freshman.

oh yeah, the former OC is now the HC at leonard, which is in gunters district

now the kids options for his senior year are stay at sherman, go to a private school, move to a different state, or play JV at gunter.
            Seniors can't be on JV. Sucks for the kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
              thats what i thought but the article says he can play JV football and basketball if he stays at gunter, and then varsity track because the denial will be expired...??? what a mess.

Comment

Great looking ring Mr. Abel, well deserved.

I am still shaking my head on the Gunter/Sherman ruling. If what I have read is true and there are no other under lying issues not discussed, how is the UIL not being bombarded by appeals of a similar nature? Coaches, with sons and daughters that make an intimidate positive impact to the schools athletic department are hired by a ISD to coach and bring that son/daughter with them all the time!

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                  They actually can. There is no rule against it. Doesn't happen often tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                    Great looking ring Mr. Abel, well deserved.

I am still shaking my head on the Gunter/Sherman ruling. If what I have read is true and there are no other under lying issues not discussed, how is the UIL not being bombarded by appeals of a similar nature? Coaches, with sons and daughters that make an intimidate positive impact to the schools athletic department are hired by a ISD to coach and bring that son/daughter with them all the time!

Rwc
                    Not sure if it is true or not, but I have heard the kid was working out with Gunter kids before he transferred there and that ****** off the coaches from Sherman.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                      They actually can. There is no rule against it. Doesn't happen often tho.
                      My bad, I could have sworn I read that somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                        Not sure if it is true or not, but I have heard the kid was working out with Gunter kids before he transferred there and that ****** off the coaches from Sherman.

This is not a true statement.

I talked to a Gunter coach yesterday about the whole situation. The player’s father, Coach Grant, was an assistant coach at Sherman. Coach Grant interviewed at Gunter and they made him an offer to be their special teams coordinator. Before he accepted it, someone at Gunter said something about it to the softball coach at Sherman. Small town drama ensued. The soft ball coach started telling everyone that Coach Grant was going to Gunter. He had to shut it down and tell head football coach that nothing had been decided, etc. Coach Grant was then removed from anything related to football and assigned as an assistant baseball/softball coach(seemingly as a demotion). The player in question, Phoenix, and his little brother were both removed from participating in the athletic program in retaliation.

Coach Grant decides to accept the position at Gunter, which is a promotion. He tells Phoenix he’s taking the job and they’re gonna go to Gunter. Phoenix cries. He didn’t want to leave Sherman and his friends. It’s Phoenix’s senior year and his father is leaving and wants to be able coach his son one last season. Phoenix eventually comes around to the idea. He and his brother disenroll from Sherman on a Friday morning and are officially enrolled in Gunter on the same day. The following day, Saturday, the track guys for Gunter are having a workout and the Grants are there. A picture gets posted on social media of everyone at the workout, including Phoenix, and Sherman people start making a big deal out of it without knowing that he is already an official Gunter student. This is the workout referenced above.

Sherman coaching staff has to fill out the paperwork involved when a player transfers schools. Per this Gunter coach, the paperwork was filled out at least partially by/with the former Sherman OC/current Leonard HC who is in Gunter’s district. The form is filled out saying that Phoenix is transferring for athletic purposes. Hearings and interviews are conducted. Phoenix, a minor, is actually interviewed without his parents or another adult to help represent him. There are two issues given that are the reasoning for denying Phoenix’s eligibility. 1. The Grants decided to not move to Gunter as their house in Sherman is only 20 minutes away. 2. And this is the real issue. When Phoenix was interviewed and asked why he wanted to go to Gunter he said something to the effect of “Sherman has never done anything for me, so I’m ready to go somewhere else and give it a try”. Apparently those two things were enough to deny his eligibility.

It also sounds like this young man and his Dad are great people. The coach is always offering to help with anything. Even stuff like taking out the trash. The Gunter kids all love Phoenix and it sounds like he’s a great young man. They’ve already circled Leonard on the schedule for the fall and keep telling their coaches they want to beat Leonard 100-0. Lol. Phoenix is also very smart. He was ranked something like 11th out of 590 in his class at Sherman and a couple Ivey League schools have already done reached out to him.

Now all of this is coming directly from a current Gunter coach, so it is only one side of the story. This coach is an outstanding guy and I have no reason to not believe him. Personally it just sounds like this kid is getting railroaded by some spiteful coaches. I don’t see how they can say he’s transferring for athletic reasons. He was the starter at Sherman and not losing his spot. Gunter has an outstanding program obviously but he was getting much more exposure at Sherman with them playing the likes of Highland Park, McKinney, Longview, etc. Moving 20 minutes away in this housing market doesn’t seem like a great idea. Coaches move all the time and they’re not forced to leave their kids at their old school, but someone’s feelings got hurt with this one. IDK.

I feel pretty bad for the kid. I hope this isn’t the end of the story, but if there’s any kind of lawsuit etc, it doesn’t sound like the school will be involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X