No announcement yet.

Custom home builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working with a builder on a home for mom. Don't have the full spec sheet and allowances. Initial budget is about $330k for 1500 sf or $220/ft. this is post tension slab, full brick exterior, spray foam insulation including garage, septic, Trane HVAC, tankless water heater, granite counter tops, LVP floors except for carpet in bedrooms, ventless propane fireplace, buried propane tank, 2 car garage. also includes clearing for homesite on 3 acre tract.

In the corsicana area. Does this sound in the ballpark for semi-custom? Seems so reading the above posts. Thanks for any input.

Comment

Whatever your quote is, I'd add 20% to it for your budget. Materials pricing is bonkers right now.

Comment

Custom home builder

All my acquaintances rib me because it has taken me around 3 years to build my retirement home, but, I just chuckle under my breath because I have just a tad over $150k invested in it and it’s a custom home with custom cabinets, higher grade granite, 3/4” wood beadboard ceilings, 6” walls, 10’ ceilings, 72” ceiling fans, laminate floors and a 5 ton/16seer unit with humidifier system.
        Also has a 10’x50’ front screened porch and 8’x24’ back screened porch.
        The catch is….I only subbed out the slab and the granite. Everything else was by my hands.
        Now I’m arguing with the tax folks because they think it’s worth a fortune. Go figure.
        BTW it’s 1950sf living area with a
        22’x28’ attached garage which is also insulated.
        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by Buckshot4900; 05-05-2022, 11:06 AM.

Comment

While that’s one way to do it. A 3 years on a building loan alone would cost you another $80k in interest. Lol

But.. if you can do all the work and got the time of corse it’s cheaper… as long as your time is worth NOTHING

Comment

One of my best friends is a custom home builder here in San Antonio. They specialize in the Boerne, Spring Branch and New Braunfels area.

A little over a year ago he sent me their "Build On Your Lot" pricing sheet.

The cheapest one story plan they had was 3,127 sq ft and that included living and garage. The price was $344,180.

The most expensive one story plan they had was 3,796 sq ft and that included living and garage. The price was $435,840.

The cheapest two story plan they had was 3,319 sq ft and that included living and garage. The price was $359,760.

The most expensive two story plan they had was 4,928 sq ft and that included living and garage. The price was $511,380.

These were all as of 2/1/2021. Needless to say he told me I can throw that pricing sheet out the window. Sad what has become of the housing market, even in the last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              While that’s one way to do it. A 3 years on a building loan alone would cost you another $80k in interest. Lol

But.. if you can do all the work and got the time of corse it’s cheaper… as long as your time is worth NOTHING

Well interest was zero cause I paid as I went. And my time is apparently worth zero, just ask all my friends I build for. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

at this point what would you guys say the difference is in a traditional home and a barndo? it doesnt seem like the barndo is as cheap to build as it once was. we may be buying some land in the next month or so and are trying to figure this all out.

only looking for 2000-2300 living area, 3/2.5, focus on the back porch.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                  at this point what would you guys say the difference is in a traditional home and a barndo? it doesnt seem like the barndo is as cheap to build as it once was. we may be buying some land in the next month or so and are trying to figure this all out.

As of now, no difference. I’m right in the middle of getting a house build going. You can figure $200/SF no matter which way you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Barndo isn't as cheap as it once was due to the popularity. I am currently embarking on this adventure. Metal prices are up so that is part of it but what I have found is that erectors have increased their charges substantially......needless to say I am putting mine up myself.

There are so many variables though when it comes to building that can swing the scale in either direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
                      Barndo isn't as cheap as it once was due to the popularity. I am currently embarking on this adventure. Metal prices are up so that is part of it but what I have found is that erectors have increased their charges substantially......needless to say I am putting mine up myself.

There are so many variables though when it comes to building that can swing the scale in either direction.
                      Understood. Wife saw this one on Facebook, by Metal Buildings of Texas. 2756sqft, probably a bit nicer inside than we would go, but they responded in the remarks that this one was $127k for the building, delivered and erected, then $90-100sqft to finish out the inside....so roughly $400k total. Seemed low to me but if true, that's doable for us.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Understood. Wife saw this one on Facebook, by Metal Buildings of Texas. 2756sqft, probably a bit nicer inside than we would go, but they responded in the remarks that this one was $127k for the building, delivered and erected, then $90-100sqft to finish out the inside....so roughly $400k total. Seemed low to me but if true, that's doable for us.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
                        Thats about right from what I have seen. I actually looked at that exact build while digging through floor plans.

Comment

Obviously this does not pertain to today's prices, but gives some perspective to how things have changed.

We built our barndominium in 2018/2019 (moved in May 2019) for $70.00 sq ft. $225,000÷3200=$70.31

1600 sq. ft. living space, 1600 sq. ft. attached shop. Also our building has a 40'x16' overhang.

This includes dirt work, concrete, exterior concrete, septic system, driveway, new appliances.... everything.

We are thankful we got it done before Covid hit.

These guys up here never heard the term barndominium. They call them a shome or a shouse.[emoji1745]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

We finished our house about 11 months ago. 2750 down stairs and 1250 (unfinished) up stairs for $289,000. I'm not sure how you'd figure the cost per square foot with the up stairs being unfinished.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 7sdad; 05-05-2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Custom depends on your design. The area depends on your builder and what they can get materials for. I don’t know about San Antonio. I’d start with finding a builder I could trust and actually shows up to his job sites. Lumber is ridiculous. By the time they bud that cost alone it can double over night. My neighbor builds full time here in the east Texas area. He just finished the house next to us and it is a beauty. It’s about 3700 square ft and they told me he ran about $160 per sq ft. No metal roof fyi. Metal roofs (if you can get the metal) are 3-4 times the cost of shingle. My suggestion is to make sure you got plenty budget on your construction loan no matter who you use. If your banker lets you only do 10% then I’d request $350k. If you got some left then great. If not and you didn’t go over then you set. You don’t have to borrow the full amount that you apply for. The final mortgage may need a down payment too so keep that in mind. It’s always best to build but two closing costs suck! Either way good luck and I bet you come our way ahead of the budget if you’re only looking for 2100 sq ft and not too fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                                Obviously this does not pertain to today's prices, but gives some perspective to how things have changed.

We built our barndominium in 2018/2019 (moved in May 2019) for $70.00 sq ft. $225,000÷3200=$70.31

1600 sq. ft. living space, 1600 sq. ft. attached shop. Also our building has a 40'x16' overhang.

This includes dirt work, concrete, exterior concrete, septic system, driveway, new appliances.... everything.

We are thankful we got it done before Covid hit.

These guys up here never heard the term barndominium. They call them a shome or a shouse.[emoji1745]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                                Good looking build.

Someone told me the main advantage of going barndo over a stick built house is taxation. The guy said property taxes are accessed differently and are way lower for barndo. Is that correct?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X