• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
    Well tell us your secret?? You’re the bbq king [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nah. Smart and Franklin passed me up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Fat up fat down. Whatever you like. Fat down will present better, get a nice smoke ring, and have good bark. I'm not claiming to be an expert or at the level some of these members are here. We have been very happy with all of our efforts and I only started smoking 3 years ago.

My standards:
      Take brisket out of fridge an hour or 2 before going into the smoker
      Keep the temp around 250*
      Wrap TIGHT in butcher paper when int temp is 160*
      Take it out when int temp is 203-205*. Not earlier. A must!
      Place wrapped brisket in a small cooler (out of sun) for 2 hours. I bring indoors. Another must!

I've used a lot of different rubs, including simple salt and pepper.
      Never spritzed one yet.

Comment

14 1/2 hours and it’s off resting comfortable in a ice chest.
        I did fat down and didn’t wrap till it came off. I think my problem before I was pulling to early. Thinking the longer it stayed on the worse it would be plus I was ready to eat. Think it helped I put on last night. I’m excited cause it’s like butter when I probe it. Thanks for everyone’s help especially Jason. I’ll update when I cut and taste

Comment

I’m glad this thread got started. I smoked my first brisket a couple weekends ago and it left a lot to be desired. From this thread it seems like I probably pulled it off just a tad early but I was already 1.5 hours past dinner time. I think the highest temp I saw was 198-199.

Does it magically go from pretty tough and dry to tender and moist in the those last few degrees or did I maybe screw something else up too?

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTIN HARD View Post
            I did fat down and didn’t wrap till it came off. I think my problem before I was pulling to early. Thinking the longer it stayed on the worse it would be plus I was ready to eat. Think it helped I put on last night. I’m excited cause it’s like butter when I probe it. Thanks for everyone’s help especially Jason. I’ll update when I cut and taste
            What grade meat?

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
              I’m glad this thread got started. I smoked my first brisket a couple weekends ago and it left a lot to be desired. From this thread it seems like I probably pulled it off just a tad early but I was already 1.5 hours past dinner time. I think the highest temp I saw was 198-199.

Does it magically go from pretty tough and dry to tender and moist in the those last few degrees or did I maybe screw something else up too?
              I was doing same thing pulling it high 190s cause it was time for dinner. I put this on last night and I think that helped. Yes the longer it stays on the better every 30 minutes is was getting more buttery

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                What grade meat?
                Prime

Comment

Prime
                  You've got it made then, that's half the battle. Be sure to slice it correctly.

Comment

I've been using my Treager for briskets the last 2 years.

They way Ive been doing it.

Meat choice is first thing. Good flexible brisket with a good cap, typically i get 12-14lbers
                    Heavy Kosher salt and course black pepper, when you think its enough, add some more

Smoke at 180 for 6hours
                    Turn up to 225*
                    I don't touch it or wrap it.
                    At 195-198* I turn the heat up to 325*-this gives me the closest bark crisp which i love on brisket with the pellet smoker.

I then pull at 204-205* and wrap in aluminum foil and then a couple large beach towels and place it in the cooler for 3-6hours, depending on when it gets done and ready to serve. Ive done it at 8 hours like this and its still piping hot after sitting in the cooler.

They have came out pretty good, and unless everyone is lying they all crave and talk about it for weeks. Never know how long it will take, I've had them take 10 hours and then had them take 16 hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post

For me.. yes. Especially if the outside edges and point are 198-199. That means the center flat is upper 80s low 90s … usually

Comment

Need your help. Brisket

Prime

Daaaang! High rolla!!

Prime is harder to mess up. [emoji12][emoji23]
                        Last edited by Smart; 04-16-2022, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Fingers crossed JP! Gonna be a hero pitmaster to the wife and kids if it turns out. [emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                            Nah. Smart and Franklin passed me up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hell I’m just lucky to breathe your BBQ air and talk with you. [emoji41][emoji1]

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Daaaang! High rolla!!

Prime is hard to mess up. [emoji12][emoji23]
                              Trust me it’s not that hard

Comment

My names not Jason, but you’re welcome anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X