This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RaginCagin View Post
    Word is Terry Joseph may be interested in coming to LSU from UT.
    Thank you!

The back end at Texas was terrible this year and he has been sub par recruiting. There was a very good chance he was getting fired this year.
    Last edited by Heath; 12-01-2021, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
      Matt Rhule to OU is picking up a lot of steam.

Only OU would fall upward.

Home run hire if true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Why would any NFL HC leave for a college job?

I was wondering why Kingsbury and Rhule's names were even being mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          Why would any NFL HC leave for a college job?

I was wondering why Kingsbury and Rhule's names were even being mentioned.

What’s a nfl coach make now days?

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
            What’s a nfl coach make now days?
            Here is a good read on it from this morning.

College Football Is A Massive Business

Huddle Up is a daily letter that breaks down the business and money behind sports.

It has been a wild few days in the world of college football.
            Michigan beat their rival Ohio State for the first time in a decade, securing themselves a top-two ranking, a spot in the Big Ten Championship game, and their head coach, Jim Harbaugh, a $500,000 bonus.
            Side note: Harbaugh and his wife mentioned they would be donating any bonus money he earned this season to Michigan athletic department employees that saw their pay reduced 10% to 20% last year due to COVID-19.

That’s awesome, of course, but more importantly, the collegiate coaching carousel has quickly reminded us just how much of a business high-level college football really is.

For example, just hours after adamantly denying he would be the next head coach at LSU, Lincoln Riley jumped shipped to USC, agreeing to a massive $110 million deal with the Trojans that people initially believed might include insane incentives like a $6 million Los Angeles home, unlimited use of a private jet, and more.

I mean, I guess he didn’t *technically* lie. But not to be outdone, just weeks after claiming he wouldn’t leave Notre Dame unless a “fairy godmother” came down with a $250 million check, Brian Kelly left the 6th-ranked Fighting Irish for an equally large $100 million-plus payday at LSU.
            Also, he also reportedly broke up with the team via a text message.

Now, many people are criticizing Lincoln Riley & Brian Kelly for how they resigned from their head coaching positions—in the middle of the night, no notice to the team, and in Kelly’s case, over a text message—but I’m not sure that’s entirely fair.

These deals typically come together much quicker than most would expect, and the media often breaks the news publically just minutes after the coach signs a contract.

Sure, maybe there is a way to be more honest with your program & team about your intention to consider other opportunities, but do people really expect coaches to give up their negotiating power to cater to the emotions of individuals on their team for a deal that might not even end up happening?
            It sounds harsh, but remember, we are talking about life-changing $100 million-plus deals here.

The NCAA recently approved a rule that allows all college athletes to transfer one time as an undergraduate without having to sit out a season — that’s really not all that different from what coaches like Lincoln Riley & Brian Kelly are doing.

There is nuance to this, of course. Some players are moving across the country, away from their families, and are under the assumption that they will be playing for a specific head coach. Still, everyone is fully aware by now that sports are a business.

But I do think the past week has opened many people’s eyes to just how big of a business elite college football really is.

For example, through base salary & incentives, Mel Tucker at Michigan State, Lincoln Riley at USC, and Brian Kelly at LSU will all earn $9.5 million per year or more.

That seems like a lot because it is.
            Not only are those deals approaching Nick Saban’s ~$10 million annual salary, but $9.5 million in annual compensation is currently more than 26 out of the 32 NFL coaches.

Highest-Paid NFL Head Coaches (Source)
            • Bill Belichick: $18 million
            • Pete Carroll: $14 million
            • Sean Payton: $14 million
            • Andy Reid: $12 million
            • Mike Tomlin: $11.5 million
            • Kyle Shanahan: $9.5 million

Remember, NFL teams like the Patriots bring in 10x more revenue than schools like USC—$600 million in 2018 compared to $60 million—so these salaries represent a much larger piece of the overall pie, not including booster donations of course.

Brian Kelly will be paid $9.5 million per year at LSU, which is more than 26 out of the 32 NFL coaches. This is why student-athletes should have been able to profit off their name, image, and likeness from the start. College football is a massive business.

New rules enabling college student-athletes to profit off their name, image, and likeness have already passed. Were only a few months into that process, but preliminary data suggests the average D1 football player might be earning a few thousand dollars and the top 1% are earning between $500,000 to $1 million.

That’s a good thing, of course. But as these coaching salaries continue to get higher and higher, I believe more people will start to question why the athletes that put their bodies on the line each week aren’t receiving a piece of the pie in return.

We’ll see what happens. Elite-level college football has become just as big of a business as major professional sports leagues — I just hope it doesn’t take another 100 years to see meaningful change.

Comment

Now they are saying no Rhule. My guess is that was a smokescreen.
              Last edited by El General; 12-01-2021, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                Now they are saying no Rhule. My guess is that was a smokescreen.
                Hopefully this is the case. I would like Matt Rhule to stay in the NFL until he is ready to come coach at Texas.

Comment

Hopefully this is the case. I would like Matt Rhule to stay in the NFL until he is ready to come coach at Texas.
                  Yeah, Matt Rhule and Joe Brady feels like failing forward from Riley.

I still think it is Venables. I think he will turn out to be a very good head coach, but might have a problem stopping the immediate bleeding and will need some time to build.
                  Last edited by El General; 12-01-2021, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I want to see what Kelly tips the scales at after a few months on the job!

Brock, go ahead and send it to me.

Comment

Here is a good read on it from this morning.
                      I had no idea the pro coaches made that much money. More and more people I talk to are not watching any pro sports? Maybe that is just me and my friends in a small bubble??

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                        I had no idea the pro coaches made that much money. More and more people I talk to are not watching any pro sports? Maybe that is just me and my friends in a small bubble??
                        That is me and most of my friends as well. I can't tell you the last time I watched a whole NFL game.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                          That is me and most of my friends as well. I can't tell you the last time I watched a whole NFL game.
                          I haven't watched a down in over two seasons. I used to turn it on because I like football but now I just don't turn it on. NBA, not a chance, I turn the news off when they get to the sports segment to avoid it. College basketball?? Maybe watch some come tournament time, maybe? I did watch two games of the MLB World Series because I was at a friend's house, I mainly went for the food and booze. Give me college football, college baseball and PGA all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post

That’s not just you… I have friends who spent tons of time and $$$ on fantasy football and dropped it all. No one in my circle cares 1 bit about the nfl.

Comment

Originally posted by 18ncs View Post
                              I want to see what Kelly tips the scales at after a few months on the job!

Brock, go ahead and send it to me.

What do I owe you

Comment

Let me guess. Y'all all watch Yellowstone. Buncha hippocrit anti gun Hollywood liberal elitists.

Comment

Working...
                                X