Elk trip took a turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk trip took a turn

Stoof and I have been planning an elk trip for a few months now. My FIL has some property in CO which butts up to Gunnison NF and some BLM land. Plan was to set base camp on property and spend few nights as far back as we could hike, returning once or twice to resupply and maybe head new direction. Last week my cousin was in the area on a road trip with her kids so I told them to spend a night on their property and have her kids bury a treasure for us to find in September when we arrive for hunt. They awoke in morning to a man asking who they were. Turns out he is an elk guide who was merely checking on the place because nobody ever goes out there. He explained that he was interested in grazing his pack mules on the land and keep an eye on the land. So I called him yesterday and he was very excited to play Let’s Make A Deal. He offered to pack us into spots where he has success and pack us out, hopefully with meat in tow as well. Even offered for us to stay in one of his cabins if desired. Looks like this can be a lasting relationship. Any advice on what is an equitable trade is welcome.

Tell Stoof I want to go

Comment

If I'm understanding it correctly, it sounds like he wants to use your FIL's property for access to the NF and as a base camp for his guided trips. Actually, it sounds like he has probably already been doing that, since he was there on the property about to run folks off of it, before he found out they were related to the actual owner.

You could trade him a fully guided trip in exchange for allowing him to keep using the property. Or you could run him off and hunt DIY. Your FIL's call, really.

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          If I'm understanding it correctly, it sounds like he wants to use your FIL's property for access to the NF and as a base camp for his guided trips. Actually, it sounds like he has probably already been doing that, since he was there on the property about to run folks off of it, before he found out they were related to the actual owner.

You could trade him a fully guided trip in exchange for allowing him to keep using the property. Or you could run him off and hunt DIY. Your FIL's call, really.
          No no
          He has access through other ranches with cabins for his hunters. He is only looking for grass. However you bring up a good point that maybe I should be certain that we are both in same page.
          FIL wants me to head this situation myself. I’d like the guides input at least this year because we have never hunted the area.

Comment

Personally I have humped an elk out of a canyon in packs and I have had an outfitter do I for me with mules…man the price spread for me is huge.

Comment

I'd be getting yearly fully guided trips for myself and any friends or family that wanted to hunt. Dude's obviously been using private property as his own for awhile. Wouldn't fly in Texas.

Comment

Definitely talk with your FIL first but sounds like it could turn into an ag exemption for him if he allows the grazing. He may need to check on what is required to get that.
                Might be a benefit to him as well as you.

Check out the outfitter as well, a little googling online just to see.

Comment

I’d tell him take me hunting and get me some real opportunities and then we’ll talk about possible grazing. Until then, get the heck off the property.

Comment

Good luck to you but he sounds like a guy who got caught & offered up everything for ya to keep you from snooping around.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                      Good luck to you but he sounds like a guy who got caught & offered up everything for ya to keep you from snooping around.
                      Thats what i was thinking.

Comment

His reaction as you stated it sounds like he got his hand caught in the cookie jar and now wants to do anything he can to keep it in there.
                        I would thing hard before engaging with him about what is important for you to get out of this potential relationship?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Something doesn’t add up. Mules don’t eat that much grass, if he has access thru other ranches, his mules could graze them. Good luck with your elk hunt though.

Comment

I'd probably have to run him off no matter how badly I wanted an elk.

Stranger approaches your family on family land and needs to know who they are? Nah homie.

Every Western hunter out there is using an app like OnX. They can find property owners easily to start discussions with

Comment

Best of luck but if it sounds too good to be true it likely is.

I agree with the above, he got caught and offered you a great deal which cost him nothing to keep his grazing land or what ever he's been using it for.

I'm not normally this way but with this guy I'd do my research and if an agreement is reached put it in writing. Too much of a red flag to do a hand shake.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X