No announcement yet.

Higdon redhead deeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the coast maybe. I wouldn't use them up here, but I don't hunt big water.

Comment

They’re fairly small decoys, maybe 13-14” from beak to tail. The foam filled versions are better for shooting divers regularly (these won’t take much abuse from errant shots). They ride ok in calm to mild conditions, not so much in chop. We got 2 seasons of use on ours before we had to touch up the paint, not bad for the price but I probably wouldn’t buy them again if I were putting together another diver spread.

Comment

I'm going to use them at the coast. Are there any you suggest instead? They dont have to be Avian X or other top of the line.

Comment

Redheads aren’t that picky about decoys. Killed plenty over straight pintail sets. Depending where you are at the coast- location plus a larger set is way more important that decoy species.

Are you hunting open water or protected pockets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm hunting pockets

Comment

Yep. I Use them. Really I use whatever's cheaper. As long as you got the numbers they don't care. There coming in.

Comment

Numbers matter more than species or gender. In my opinion if they are close enough to tell wether it’s a mallard or redhead decoy you better be shootin

Comment

How many are yall using in your spread?

Comment

We’ve used economy pintail decoys with water keels for years. Those should work fine.

At the coast, numbers help the most. 6 dozen if it covers enough water. More depending on the conditions. Be creative. Two blobs of 2 dozen either side of a taco stand bind will get overlooked most of the time.
                    Redheads/divers generally decoy easily. Pintails and bonus puddles are usually more difficult.

In rockport- the redheads get in large rafts and it’s tough to competed. Pray for boat traffic and wind.

Comment

I hunt coastal marsh and usually have about 10+ dozen out

Comment

Can yall give some suggestions on some cheaper decoys? What about used ones?

Comment

I’ve run the same cheap flambeau pintails for 15 years. Along with carylite wigeon and teal. Touch up the paint every few years. But I don’t hunt nearly as much as I used to.

Used decoys are a great option. It’s also easy to paint mallard decoys as red heads or blue bills. Black and white contrast if the blue bills helps visibility of the spread.

TX rig the decoys. Helps enormously getting spread out and picked up quickly.

Comment

So redheads will decoy to an almost entirely pintail spread?

Comment

They will decoy to black Clorox jugs if you have enough

Comment

Working...
                              X