Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Discount tire confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got six new 235/80R 17's put on my Ram. Went to Discount Tire in Athens, GA.

It was the best tire buying experience I have ever had and I have been buying new rubber since 1978.

I was there at my appointment time and 30 minutes later they were hunting me because my truck was ready.

I ended up shooting the breeze with the manager for about half an hour.

I buy a lot of tires(bought 11 in the last week). I'm glad I had a good experience at DT.

Like all businesses, it depends on the manager and the help. If you have good folks you get a good job.

Load range E tires ride like a dream. Then again, I love the way a dually rides.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
      Been my experience with DT that 99.999% of the people there are borderline idiots. For the record my son worked there when he was a teenager.
      That goes for humans in general IMHO.

People suck.

Here is my advice, where ever you buy tires, make sure it is not Sam's.

They messed me up every time I was in the store on the last set. They cut me a check for $1,100+ for two new Alcoa wheels.
      They screwed up EVERY rotation and balance. They even screwed up a repair and I even took them the wheel & tire and left it there so they could get it done at their convenience.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
        I've always had great customer service at Discount, aside from long wait times I don't think I've ever had a complaint and have bought several sets of tires from them.

Looks like the recommended size for your truck is actually 275/55r20
        Ok my curiosity got me to walk over to the barn
        The door sticker says 265/70 is oem and psi is 35 front 45 rear It came off the dealer lot With 275/65 . 50 psi in all four

Comment

Quit buying anything from a chain store... there are good mom and pop shops around you.....

Comment

My niece drove in from Austin this weekend. About 5 mile from my house her car started making a thumping noise. Turns out 3 of the 5 lugs on her drivers side rear wheel were broke. She just had DT put a new set on her car. They made it right and put her up in a hotel while it was being fixed. The mechanic shop that fixed the broken studs said that over half their business comes from fixing DT screw ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
              My niece drove in from Austin this weekend. About 5 mile from my house her car started making a thumping noise. Turns out 3 of the 5 lugs on her drivers side rear wheel were broke. She just had DT put a new set on her car. They made it right and put her up in a hotel while it was being fixed. The mechanic shop that fixed the broken studs said that over half their business comes from fixing DT screw ups.

Overtightened them until they twisted. I had a flat, I couldn’t break the nuts loose. I couldn’t break them loose with a cheater.

Comment

Thanks to all the bitchin about them on here, I have never darkened their doors. I figure so much smoke gotta be a fire......

Comment

They are probably just seeing it as a 1500 but if you truly have the 1500hd it should be the e rated tires, their system doesn’t show that option for a 2014 1500hd

Comment

The only good thing about DT is getting free tire repairs and rotates but you have to wait forever. My wife will NOT go there w/o me, they always try to convince her she needs new tires even when they were just replaced. Crooks to the unsuspecting.
                    Last time I went there they broke a stud off my front of my F150 4x4 and handed it to me and said sorry, lol. I could bring it to some other shop to get it fixed, I declined and did not go back.

Comment

Haven’t used DT in 15+ years. Not mad at em I just like to use “old family mom&pop” place I’ve known for many years

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                        Overtightened them until they twisted. I had a flat, I couldn’t break the nuts loose. I couldn’t break them loose with a cheater.
                        I tell them when they torque the bolts on my truck to set the torque with the torque wrench not the impact. They look at me like I'm stupid. I have to school them on how to torque a bolt properly every time.

If you run it up with a 1/2 inch impact capable of 300 ft lbs and then you double check it with a torque wrench set at 160, you aren't doing it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          Thanks to all the bitchin about them on here, I have never darkened their doors. I figure so much smoke gotta be a fire......
                          Lol, I bought some boat trailer tires from them one time cause I had a bulge in a tire on the way to go fishin. I always thought they sold cheap tires, never really knew.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                            I tell them when they torque the bolts on my truck to set the torque with the torque wrench not the impact. They look at me like I'm stupid. I have to school them on how to torque a bolt properly every time.

If you run it up with a 1/2 inch impact capable of 300 ft lbs and then you double check it with a torque wrench set at 160, you aren't doing it right.
                            They have torque sticks they are supposed to use with the air impact. Some of the 1/2" air impacts tire shops use are capable of putting out 1100 ft lbs of torque AND they use ever bit of it.

Comment

I’ve had great luck with them and will continue to use them.

Comment

If you drive on a ranch, get the 10 ply.

Comment

Working...
                                X